my guinea chick died!!!

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm just starting out and have never raised guineas before. My chick was fine , then it started to sulk and sit around puffy. It ate and drank a little. When I separated him he seemed to get more active and chirped . This lasted about 2 days. I put him back with the other chicks and he sulked and puffed up again. So I separated him again. One the next day he was dead. I can't figure this out. We have a water softener, is there any way this is what could have killed it.? Maybe I need to give them bottled water?They are probably about 4-5 wk old.

hit.gif

so sorry for your lost chick...not sure about guineas....I am sure the guinea experts have good ideas.....

Yea he was eating and drinking but not much. He pooped but at first it looked dark green then later small hard looking drops. My other 3 guineas seem fine so far.

Most everyone in this area has a water softener. If it was a big problem you'd hear about chickens and livestock dropping dead all over. Plus if the others are doing fine I wouldn't think it would be something they were all eating or drinking.

I did give bottled water to my chicks but that's because my well water is nasty. It comes out of the tap yellow sometimes. I use bottled for pretty much everything.

* Sorry about your guinea chick, Marymac. That's too bad. I don't know if it was the water softener. Doesn't sound like it, though, given that the others are o.k..
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom