My hatch that barely hatched, I`m so miserable

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shylasgarden, Mar 22, 2009.

1. shylasgarden

shylasgarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My hatch was due on the 19th but due to low temps, they are really staggerd. I did have four hatch on the 19th, four on the 20th, 1 on the 21st and one (sort of) today. When I got home from work today the one that was zipped this morning hadan`t moved, he was stuck! My humidity must have tanked early this morning. Well I helped him out of the egg figuring he would be the last, and, oh no, another is now pipping! How long can they keep hatching?
    I right now have only 10 out of 41 eggs. I`m sooo miserable :-(

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I'm sorry. What kind of incubator did you use?

3. shylasgarden

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I had them in a Little Giant still air, it did great the whole time, the mistake was my thermometer wasn`t accurate and it was only 97 degrees the whole time. I didn`t catch it untill day 18. I don`t know what happened, the hunidity kept constant till today, it wasn`t hardly even reading when I got home.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    why are you misrable there still hatching you should be happy ,
    buck up up the humidity check the temp and then relax you could have babies in the morning.

5. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

If your temp holds steady, and was only low, you could have babies for days still! Low temps can drag a hatch out for up to 24/25 days....Low isnt as bad as high...too high is deadlier...I just killed 7 NN bantams with a 102.9 degree temp spike while I was at work, during pipping, on day 21 and I'm sick about it...the only near survivor died coming out of the shell. Yours still have a chance, let them be....keep them warm enough! But not too warm. Every little one is precious!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tina/tfpets

6. chickadeeacres101

chickadeeacres101 New Egg

Nov 11, 2008
    At least you got some. Take extra good care of the ones you have!

7. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    I have tried with two hatches so far this spring. out of 31 eggs 0 lived 0 made it to 21 days (my fault entirely) so be happy that you got some.

give them a few more days, you should see more pipping and zipping.

8. shylasgarden

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, tfpets, I`m so sorry about your little ones! Thank you for all the encouragement, if nothing else I do have 10 and they are doing real well :)

9. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    make sure your water trays are full in the bottom and you may want to add some spounges also to get your humidity back up and keep it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by