My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

How cold can an egg get before it becomes infertile? The temp outside is absolute frigid! I'm checking often... but still curious.

Below 25ish degrees out and sitting for a while decreases hatch rates, especially if ice crystals start to form in the egg. It will still be fertile, just too cold to hatch. Collecting eggs often gives you the best chance of a good hatch... For me, I tried to not set any egg that I knew got more than a little chilly.

ZONES OF COLD INJURY / EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT

I have had minor issues with cold eggs from the coops unless extreme cold/frozen, sometimes when it gets extremely cold and the eggs do freeze you should candle them to look for cracks, when you bring them in the cracks can easily be missed by our eye, but a candle you should see the small cracks. Brinsea ~ Temperature Guide and Optimal egg storage condition http://www.lohmann-information.com/content/l_i_46_artikel7.pdf
Quote:
The temperature at the lower end of this range is sometimes referred to as ‘Physiological
zero’ - the threshold temperature for embryonic development. Unfortunately different organs
appear to have different thresholds resulting in an unviable entity.
Zone of suspended development (-2°C - 27°C/28.4 - 80.6°F)
Below about 27°C (80°F) no embryonic development takes place. Prior to incubation, eggs
must be stored in this temperature range (preferably around 15°C/59°F).

Zone of cold injury ( -2°C/28.4°F)

Below this threshold ice crystals will start to form in the egg and permanently damage may be
done to internal structures. Eggs may lie for some considerable time in temperatures close to
freezing without suffering damage.

Last edited:

We'll find out this weekend if he makes nice babies.
jumpy.gif

I love love love him!
love.gif
And I'm not sure I've seen that particular pic either. Nice one.

Great! Make sure and give updates!
big_smile.png

Well, here's mine -- 16 little speckled eggs still just a-layin' there. No pips yet.

Although I think I saw a slight bobble last night.

I love love love him! :love And I'm not sure I've seen that particular pic either. Nice one.

Well, here's mine -- 16 little speckled eggs still just a-layin' there. No pips yet.

Although I think I saw a slight bobble last night.

:fl

I hope they start rocking soon.

Last edited:
I hope they wait till tomorrow, so I can watch cot tv all evening! :lol:
That would be nice. It would kill me if I had rockers and had to leave.
Part of the reason I set Saturday was so I'd be home when any survivors hatch.

Last edited:
Hmm, that would be nice- It would kill me if I had rockers and had to leave...

Part of the reason I set Saturday was so I'd be home when they (hopefully!) hatch.
pop.gif

Since I never hatched quail before, I held off setting until Wednesday, hoping for the weekend, but not knowing exactly what to expect!

Back
Top Bottom