My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyChooks, Jan 26, 2016.

1. BYC910

BYC910 Flock Master Premium Member

don't worry about the thermometer just do the salt calibration do a compare to another test on the thermo do not put it in water and don' breath on it you got the salt test down?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015

Wouldn't the high humidity in lockdown be bad for it then?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. BYC910

let me see If I can post a picture of the thermometer I use in mine I know sally posted pictures of some very similar ones . no mater what you do the thermometer will be off am little . did you calibrate the one you have in the incubator already ? if so after the salt calibration just put the beside each other that will be good enough now remember if you need to adjust the hygro do it without opening the bag . once you open the bag the test is lost . my money is on it will be dead on both my round ones were . the rectangular one needed adjusting .

4. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Thanks. The one I have in is a LG that read only 2 degrees off.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015

And do you mean not to even put it in water for the test with a bag on it?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. BYC910

that is exactly what I mean it will be fine in the lock down humidity it can read 99% so that is not a problem pressure on the adjust nob can nock it out of calibration or worse if the bag has a tear and you put in in water it will kill the electronics .not worth the risk to the hygro which is the most valuable of the two . the thermo will only be off a little bit a degree or up or down . remember the ideal calibration temperature is 75 degrees . 24 hours is what I use but if it reaches 75% at twelve hours and holds for an hour you should be good .. if you did the ice test to the thermometer in he incubator just compare the two . safest way . understand ? now I have to feed a hungry hillbilly start your test if you haven't already

7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015

Ok then. Now I got it.

8. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Just for fun, I temporarily put the thermo in a bit ago.... It went up to 110 like the other, left me scratching my head. Then I turned the temp up, and the temperature fell. :confused:

ETA: Disregard this post, please. I'm stupider than I thought. Apparently I can't tell which direction arrows go. :rolleyes:

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Quote: BYC910 uses,.....

10. BYC910

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by