My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

I will probably do exactly that!

One Q on calibrating the thermo part.... do your really just put it in a bag and put it in like you would do with a stick thermo?
(I just really don't want to mess it up)
fl.gif

don't worry about the thermometer just do the salt calibration do a compare to another test on the thermo do not put it in water and don' breath on it you got the salt test down?

Last edited:
don't worry about the thermometer just do the salt calibration do a compare to another test on the thermo do not put it in water and don' breath on it you got the salt test down?

Wouldn't the high humidity in lockdown be bad for it then?

Last edited:
let me see If I can post a picture of the thermometer I use in mine I know sally posted pictures of some very similar ones . no mater what you do the thermometer will be off am little . did you calibrate the one you have in the incubator already ? if so after the salt calibration just put the beside each other that will be good enough now remember if you need to adjust the hygro do it without opening the bag . once you open the bag the test is lost . my money is on it will be dead on both my round ones were . the rectangular one needed adjusting .

let me see If I can post a picture of the thermometer I use in mine I know sally posted pictures of some very similar ones . no mater what you do the thermometer will be off am little . did you calibrate the one you have in the incubator already ? if so after the salt calibration just put the beside each other that will be good enough now remember if you need to adjust the hygro do it without opening the bag . once you open the bag the test is lost . my money is on it will be dead on both my round ones were . the rectangular one needed adjusting .

Thanks. The one I have in is a LG that read only 2 degrees off.

Last edited:

And do you mean not to even put it in water for the test with a bag on it?

Last edited:
And do you mean not to even put it in water for the test with a bag on it?

Wow, this is gettin confoosin....

that is exactly what I mean it will be fine in the lock down humidity it can read 99% so that is not a problem pressure on the adjust nob can nock it out of calibration or worse if the bag has a tear and you put in in water it will kill the electronics .not worth the risk to the hygro which is the most valuable of the two . the thermo will only be off a little bit a degree or up or down . remember the ideal calibration temperature is 75 degrees . 24 hours is what I use but if it reaches 75% at twelve hours and holds for an hour you should be good .. if you did the ice test to the thermometer in he incubator just compare the two . safest way . understand ? now I have to feed a hungry hillbilly start your test if you haven't already

that is exactly what I mean it will be fine in the lock down humidity it can read 99% so that is not a problem pressure on the adjust nob can nock it out of calibration or worse if the bag has a tear and you put in in water it will kill the electronics .not worth the risk to the hygro which is the most valuable of the two . the thermo will only be off a little bit a degree or up or down . remember the ideal calibration temperature is 75 degrees . 24 hours is what I use but if it reaches 75% at twelve hours and holds for an hour you should be good .. if you did the ice test to the thermometer in he incubator just compare the two . safest way . understand ? now I have to feed a hungry hillbilly start your test if you haven't already

Ok then. Now I got it.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I temporarily put the thermo in a bit ago.... It went up to 110 like the other, left me scratching my head. Then I turned the temp up, and the temperature fell. :confused:

ETA: Disregard this post, please. I'm stupider than I thought. Apparently I can't tell which direction arrows go. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Quote: BYC910 uses,.....

Quote: BYC910 uses,.....

do you understand yet I have these

ok Bubbles the one with the big face is from GQF while easy to read can't be set after calibration . the little one is called a Mainstays from Walmart if you look at the top picture you see the small one has a nut on the probe this one can be set after calibration . I do not trust digital thermometers at all . I pushed the probe through the top of the incubator near the center and it is at the exact right level at the center of the eggs . the big one $25.00 QGF the little $10.00 Walmart this is what I use and the hygrometer you just got . you can buy similar thermometers at auto zone we use them for automotive ac repair . as long as it can be set after calibration you are good .

Back
Top Bottom