My heart is broke...that stupid *** bear UPDATE!!!! Problem gone!

That is SO scary! OMG.......I don't know what I would do.......Keep safe and protect yourself and your daughter....... I'm so sorry for your loss.
hit.gif

Wow, sorry you lost your birds to that bear. You must be WAY up in NJ. I don't get bears where I am. (coastal) But you go south in the Mays Landing area and the bears are there too. Scary.

Take care. Lots of good advice here. Good Luck.

Quote:
I've heard this bluedog but wouldn't they get hurt chasing too? I mean it's a bear & with cubss.....

It was back while I was out today.It knocked some more stuff down in the coop
The pigeons will barely get off the roof and I bet they are still there.

Any suggestions on what to do with the pigeons?

Thanks
smile.png
Yes WAY up in NJ!

Last edited:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102402024.html

She is my hero!!

Ahh they are everywhere... if there were to be a disaster her family would eat!

"Governor Ehrlich is personally responsible for exposing young children and young bears to this cruelty," read the news release.

Early on, the hunt did not appear very promising: At least one hunter quit because of the weather, and animal rights advocates in bear suits protested in front of the natural resources headquarters in Annapolis.

I am heartbroken for your poor birds, for the terror and the pain they endured. And I am so sorry for your pain and anguish too. If you can, give some Rescue Remedy to the survivors (health food stores have RR) - it has a nontoxic calming effect. You can put a few drops in their water for several days.

It's a confounding problem we humans have scripted. New Jersey has ~ a couple thousand black bear but has swelled to house over 8 MILLION humans at this point. We have deleted so much natural habitat throughout the state that the bear are venturing more and more into areas occupied by humans to find food. Not to say bear wouldn't sometimes visit human's places anyway (they would) but it is our population, not theirs, that has literally exploded in the past few decades. And along with us comes our absolute litany of stuff - houses, roads, malls, schools, etc. - all former wildlife habitat. And so the number of conflicts has risen. What to do? Is it going to get to the point that we get rid of everything other than ourselves that could present a threat or do we share some space, preparing well so as to avoid conflict? The responses to this question will vary greatly depending upon who is asked and as such, it remains an unsettled question but while it remains unsettled, we continue to build, build, build, as though there are no repurcussions.

I hate that beautiful innocent beings are mauled in this world - by bear, by dogs, by anything at all - so for me, the only answer is to bear proof in bear country or to not have birds in such areas if bear proofing is a losing proposition. Often the bear hunted and killed in the forest are not the ones that are choosing to visit human yards so a hunting season is not a guaranteed solution. Just as laws governing dogs sadly do not keep chickens safe. The only way to keep them safe from dogs is to fortress the chicken "territory."

I am terribly sorry and tremendously sad about your birds and wish I had the power to rewind the clock to before that fateful moment so that the outcome could be rewritten. I would do it in a flash.
I couldn't read every post in this thread carefully but I'm sure you are not keeping any remaining birds in the same area at this time. I hope you suffer no further heartache.

JJ

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png

The only answer is a hunt, they are breeding like crazy! I have NEVER in all my years here seen so many bears right now 6 of them are babies. WHERE will they go? There is no room for thier growing population.

There are SO many bears it isnt like they are in danger of extinction. This bear was even back today, I am sure I will see it tomorrow! They need to be thinned. I have no problem with people hunting and using what they catch. What is the difference between that and going to the store to buy it? The only difference is who killed it! If I wasnt such a wuss (sp?) about it I might hunt. I would rather have a man to do that I will just cook it up when he gets home!

I wouldnt suggest blue heelers (australian cattle dogs) to keep bears away, for one, if you get an adult you'll have to hope that it likes you enough to protect you, or if you start with a puppy tehn you'll be protecting it until it's old enough to be snotty enough. We own one now, and she's a devil...nuff said. However, she wouldnt go after a bear...probably bark at it and growl...and maybe try to attack it if it messes with her...but go after it? No way.

Theres actual bear dogs out there...however they're high maintainance (so are aussy cattle dogs). They need a lot of dicipline, and exercise...i'd say that' stoo much for you to worry about right now to be honest.

I am so sorry for your loss words cannot discribe how i feel about all that you have went through and the pictrues made me sick...i'm glad you took them because it's made me aware of just how bad it could get here..... bears are VERY VERY poppulated this year here in PA. Very bad...esp in my county alone. Blame that on the game commission....when they have problem bears in the park guess hwere they dart and transfer them to? HERE.....my lil ole county...just because most of it is woods and farm land does not mean we want MORE Bear....I love bear..i think they are gorgeous creatures and I have no need/want to hunt them like I do for deer...but that's mostly beacuse they remind me of dogs too much...but you can bet you if one tore into my animals, i'd become an avid bear hunter!!! (during season ofcourse, i dont feel like going to jail).

We had a huuge male bear try to mess with our pony we had a few years back my mom shot bird shot above his butt, probably got him in the butt with a few of the BBs too...he ran off like a bat outta you know where, that ebar was shot taht bear season and was in the record books as one of the largest shot.

Then just last summer a bear KILLED two cars (the cars killed him...not sure which was first though ha ha)...he was over 400 lbs. HUGE HUGE HUGE...just a 5 min walk down the road from my home...

somethign has been raiding everyones garbage cans, and i can almost bet it's a bear....i haven't been lucky enough to see any tracks because it hasnt' rained...

You are completely right that they should do something about this over population of bear...deer too. PAians try saying theres not enough deer...umm....okay...are you blind? therse deer everywhere, so many so that in teh winter our yard looks like a deer farm....they protect both and keep uppping licesne fees, and putting more regulations on hunting.....it's like...errumm...do you WANT people killed by more baers and deers?? That's what people dont realize too it seems, deers kill people, not out of aggression....out of sheer panic....car hits deer...deer flies into windshield and kicks the person trappedin teh car to death...disgusting....

They wont change the laws for pets, but I assure you they will once it kills a child or a family or someone...but not before then....it's almost like someon ahs to take one for the team to get anything done....

*sigh*
*hugs*

Monarch...hi..you arent kidding when you say you guys in PA. have alot of deer!...they are dead all over the side of the road from MA. to there...i never saw anything like it!...
hmm.png
...Wendy

Quote:
Not sure about your state but in PA, bears get "three strikes you're out!" Bear harrasses a home...game commission darts or bear traps the bear....relocates the bear but before doing so puts a tag in the bears ear....

Bear gets captured again for harrassing another home...bear gets darted or bear trapped and a tag is put in it's other ear...

bear harasses another home, bear gets SHOT.

So atleast here in PA, bears with ear tags are to be wary of....ones without you gotta be wary of too but atleast they haven't been prooven for being a mischief case.

Back
Top Bottom