My Heart Nearly Stopped!

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
I am at work and was eating some chicken nuggets for my lunch when my dad called my mom. I heard her say a hawk got Stinky! my BIG RIR rooster! Before I went through a nuclear meltdown my mom told me my rooster escaped under the porch. My dad told me he scared to hawk off before it could do any real damage.He said it ripped his tail feathers out but that was about it. I hope so. I won't be able to see for myself until 9:00 tonight, when I get off work.
With all the small chickens I have that free range, why would the hawk go after my big RIR rooster? I'm sure they are all in shock now and I'm glad my dad, who usually ignores the chicken calls, checked on them. I wish I could be with them now. That goes to show that no target is too big for a hungry hawk.

The rooster may have taken the hawk on after warning the hens to duck for cover-that's one of their jobs. The three P's-procreate, protect, and peacemaker(with bickering hens)

I didn't think about it that way. Maybe he was saving the hens. I won't know for sure if any of the birds are gone/dead until later tonight. Now I have to think of some way to make a secure coop with a run big enough to enclose them all in. I don't want to loose any of my chickens to a hawk. Any ideas on how to keep the hawk from coming back until I can get the run up and running? Would taking the wild bird feeder down help? I have seen many songbirds at the feeders... I am going to try and get some pics tomorrow morning of my rooster to show any damage the hawk has done. Hopefully no damage was overlooked
hide.gif
. Would extra bushes be more of a problem than help? It makes me mad that I wasn't there when my flock needed me
somad.gif

Extra bushes, any kind of cover, even two boards leaning together and fastened at the top, like 3' square each, can make good cover. All will help them escape hawk attacks.

Your rooster was doing his job. If your chickens have been free ranging, surely you knew you were taking this chance when you make that choice. It would be a shame to take that freedom away and create an unhappy flock because of one unsuccessful attack. If you do, you might even find yourself with pecking and feather pulling chickens, since they are accustomed to exercising their natural foraging instinct. Mine free range most of the time; basically my dogs prevent losses.

I was overreacting in the last post and I'm really stressed about not being there. Please ignore the last post except I do plan to sometime make a run for some of them. A couple have decided the deck is a better place to roost at night tham in the coop. I read posts and knew the risks of free ranging, this is just upsetting because the only predator attack I've ever had was dogs. I really, really don't want to lock them up, so thanks for pointing out those problems I could have been walking into
smile.png
Are there any bushes that are thick and non toxic to chickens? My azaleas are not very bushy and I know they couldn't hide in them.
My dad said he thinks it was a red tail
hide.gif

When a hawk swoops by my place I lock the girls up for a day or two. The hawk seems to move on but another can come and take it's place anytime. My girls are way to unhappy when they are locked up. That rooster saved a hen with out a doupt. It's hard to find good ones, I hope he's ok.

Thanks, he is a really good chicken and it would have been hard to lose him because I raised him as a chick, and not the other free rangers. I think the attack was because how cold the weather has been and food must be hard to find. I've seen more cardinals and chickadees at my feeders this year than normal.

When you get home from work, I recommend you inspect Stinky real well if you possibly can. If he lost alot of tail feathers, check for blood...you dont want the others pecking at his rump. You can use Blu-Kote on the injured area and it'll heal in time as well as hide any bloody areas from the others.

Thank you, I will check him over. The hawk probably had him with its talons because my dad found them with Stinky shoved halfway under the stairs(he was too fat to fit all the way). I wish I could go see them now but I have to work or they'll have no food.

I am glad your rooster survived, lucky the hawk was chased away. Be very careful the hawk will be back again, make sure your chickens are safe. I HATE hawks.

Back
Top Bottom