My Hen Behaving Like A Rooster!

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Has anyone ever had their hen start behaving like a rooster? My Mildred, a 2 year old Black Sex Link has recently started acting very rooster like! She is the head hen, recently granted that title about 6 months ago when my other head girl passed. She is definitely in charge around here chasing my younger girls away BUT she is also mounting them almost daily like a rooster would a hen! It’s not a peck.. it’s a full mount which they submit to. She is laying so I know it’s a hen! Can this happen? She even looks like a Roo! Enjoy the pic!

Attachments

• 27762B70-1E78-45CD-9135-ED6943B59828.jpeg
    27762B70-1E78-45CD-9135-ED6943B59828.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
Has anyone ever had their hen start behaving like a rooster? My Mildred, a 2 year old Black Sex Link has recently started acting very rooster like! She is the head hen, recently granted that title about 6 months ago when my other head girl passed. She is definitely in charge around here chasing my younger girls away BUT she is also mounting them almost daily like a rooster would a hen! It’s not a peck.. it’s a full mount which they submit to. She is laying so I know it’s a hen! Can this happen? She even looks like a Roo! Enjoy the pic!
Yes I have a confused hen like this it means she is dominant and they submit

Do you have a Roo? if not it could be a dominance thing.
I have a Plymouth Rock hen, she is the oldest hen in the group and she is the boss, we do have a little silkie mix roo but he is not permitted to be in charge Nugget mounts the hens and mounts the little roo to let them know who's in charge! She is very friendly to people and does not hurt the other hens just mounts them to keep them in their place I suppose!

Do you have a Roo? if not it could be a dominance thing.

Back
Top Bottom