My hen had a seizure and died

Jun 13, 2022
Hello

I am absolutely devastated. My girl Olive has been unwell for a few days (what I think was sour crop) and I put her on my lap to cuddle and syringe some more water into her mouth and she started shaking her head and started siezing, it was just awful to watch, she was seizing for about 15 seconds and then died. This is the first chicken ive lost and im heartbroken, she was so special to me. I was trying everything to help her and feel so gutted she passed. Does anyone know why she siezed and then died? I would of rather her passed in her sleep but I was hoping she was going to fight this. Im now questioning my self and asking wasnt it sour crop? Just wish I could of done more for her 😓

Sorry for your loss. I have witnessed a few of my chickens deaths over the years, and most tend to go through the throes of death where they may seize or have a crooked neck, arched back, and may take a few steps. How old was she? Was her crop soft and puffy, and not emptying overnight? Was she laying eggs? If you contact your state vet, they can do a necropsy and look for a cause of death. The body needs to be kept cool. Her is a link for contacting them:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. I have witnessed a few of my chickens deaths over the years, and most tend to go through the throes of death where they may seize or have a crooked neck, arched back, and may take a few steps. How old was she? Was her crop soft and puffy, and not emptying overnight? Was she laying eggs? If you contact your state vet, they can do a necropsy and look for a cause of death. The body needs to be kept cool. Her is a link for contacting them:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Hello, it sounds like the throes of death maybe? Ive never seen it before. She was on the sofa on a towel and I picked her up and put her on my lap. When she sat her eyes went wide and she was super alert (different from how shes been) then she started bobbing her head from side to side, I knew there was something really wrong, then her head and neck arched backwards touching her back, then I went to move her onto the floor and she flapped her wings for about 4 seconds then her neck bent forward and her head was right underneath her, she then went lifeless. I thought it was a seizure but maybe not? Is the throes of death a normal thing??

This was her a couple of weeks ago with a muddy face, shes used to follow me everywhere and its so hard not seeing her there anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-164258_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-164258_Gallery.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 5
Hello, yes I do. Shes been indoors in a dog cage for a few days so shes currently still wrapped in her towel in the cage
If you want to know exactly how she died I suggest you take her is for a necropsy, that is if you want to. Keep her in the fridge if you do do a necropsy. @Eggcessive posted the link to the labs.

Hello

I am absolutely devastated. My girl Olive has been unwell for a few days (what I think was sour crop) and I put her on my lap to cuddle and syringe some more water into her mouth and she started shaking her head and started siezing, it was just awful to watch, she was seizing for about 15 seconds and then died. This is the first chicken ive lost and im heartbroken, she was so special to me. I was trying everything to help her and feel so gutted she passed. Does anyone know why she siezed and then died? I would of rather her passed in her sleep but I was hoping she was going to fight this. Im now questioning my self and asking wasnt it sour crop? Just wish I could of done more for her 😓
I'm so sorry she died, It must've been so hard to watch her suffer.
I've lost eight chickens in the past, so I have some chicken angels myself, but the first one is always the hardest. 😥

Back
Top Bottom