My hen has a weird thing sticking out of her butt

Quote:
It is really nothing major that a vet should do. It is not hard at all to push back in. Kinda like a hemoroid that humans would get....I know in some places there are no avian vets to be found, but if you know of one and your mom wants to take her to a vet, then by all means take her.

this happened to one of my hens once and I freaked out. My husband ( who also sees this a lot in cattle) told me to sprinkle sugar on it . I did. IT immediately shrunk and retracted itself without any manual "pushing it back in' on my part. She never prolapsed again. ( it was exactly what you are describing...a pingpong ball size , bright red protrusion) .

hope this info helps ya.

Quote:
Well I'll be.....learn something new everyday!! Thanks for posting this
big_smile.png

Should i try it? Because would it do anything to her if it doesn't work?

Last edited:
Well, I have only had 1 yr of experience with chickens, so I am NOT an expert by any means...however, she was painfully squatting around the yard trying to rid herself of the protrusion that was not doing anything but getting bigger and like others have said...if you dont do SOMETHING... the flock will start pecking it and getting it infected. I did it immediately , it shrunk back inside immediately, and never came back. I was thankful, as I am sure the hen was too , to have her obstruction , gone. I have read chicken books that advise caging the hen in total darkness for up to week or ten days to keep her from laying another egg that may make her prolapse again. I told my husband that we would be doing that if she prolapsed again, but she didn't. She laid another egg 2 days afterward, but the prolapse did not return. In my case, I was glad to take a cattleman's advise. I was told that ranch hands ALWAYS have sugar on hand for cases like this. It is caused by pushing too hard when calving. ( or in my hen's case, egg laying) ...

Well we are going to try it now probably so how long would it take to work if it does?

I'd go ahead and do it. It would be a good idea to put her in the sink and clean her up first though. No sense taking chances on infection. It's really not that big of a deal, you'll be amazed at how easy a simple prolapse can be taken care of. If the sugar doesn't work just rinse her off again, smear a little vaseline and prep h on it and gently push it back in.Do keep an eye on her for the next couple of days though. Many times they never have anymore problems, but occasionaly it will happen again. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom