My hen has an abscess, help

mcmom48

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2016
Help my girl has an abscess on her left leg. At least i think its an abscess. Her leg is swollen and she has opened it. Tissue and blood are whar is on the gauze when i change it. Ive cut her geathers away from the spot and keep applying neosporin before covering with gauze. She can walk on it and it does not seem to be warm to the touch. I dont have enough money to take her to the vet and im afraid they would tell me to put her down. Not an option. Ive healed a hen who had been scalped by the other hens. So i feel i can do this. I would just like to know what it is and is there something else, besides oral antibiotics, i can do for her.

Attachments

• 20170611_183915.jpg
    20170611_183915.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 109
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/mobileart-emh.asp?articlekey=58918 i know this is for humans i hope it helps im really truly sorry to see your chicken in such a horribly Ill state my best wishes for your chicken keep researching im sure it'll make it through just fine
I will try that and thank you. Ive got her next to me. I ffel so helpless but she really seems to be handeling this better then me. Ive got her as comfortable as her leg will per.it her to be. She is though enjoying all the attention and little goodies from mom.
1497290173387-2118950599.jpg
1497290173387-2118950599.jpg

How does the growth feel? Is it soft, firm, hard, or irregular. If it is an abscess, you should be able to squeeze some pus, either runny or solid, out of it. Abscesses will usually start to heal once they are opened and drained. I would try squeezing it, and squirt a little hydrogen peroxide into it one time only. Then use some plain neosporin or polysporin ointment on it daily. If nothing comes out of it, it may possibly be a cyst or tumor, which are common.

Ive been afraid to squeeze it. I put a little iodine to help clean it then the neosporin under a gauze wrap. I wrap the gauze all the way up her leg and tape. Not too tight but she still finds away to pull it down and peak at it causing it to bleed. I find tissue left on the gauze with every change. I did lightly touch the spot and it is hard. I thought she broke her bone when i first saw it. Havent tried squeezing anything out of it thought i would try warm compress.

You really wouldn't have to squeeze hard just to see if some pus comes out. If it is a tumor, it may increase in size or continue to drain. If you don't want to continue with the neosporin, you can also use saline, and just wrap it with gauze. Or try leaving it open to air, and use Vetericyn wound spray or similar.

Thank you I am very grateful for your response. As soon as my husband comes home I will lightly squeeze. Her leg is twice the size so i need to get oral antibiotics as well. Does that antibiotic come as a powder as well? Or any other suggestions

Back
Top Bottom