My Hen has be sick for about 4 weeks - Orange comb - moving slow - What to do?

Vanschelt

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 6, 2018
I have a hen who is moving very slowly. Her comb and waddle have turned orange and seems to be drying out. She has a vey yellow look to her and tattered. None of my other 4 hens bother her. She is in slow motion all the time. Her neck feathers have thinned out and she is always in the hunched position seeming to stay warm. Her dropping seem normal but she is not laying. Any thoughts? I feel bad for her. I keep hearing that she might be molting but from what I've seen online, other than her neck feathers having thinned out the rest of her feathers are pretty much in tact. Our winter has been very mild here in Salt Lake City, Utah. After keeping her in the garage for about 2 weeks, I put her back in the coop with the flock so they wouldn't reject her. I would appreciate any advise.
P.S., I just added a better photo of her. She is looking a bit more tattered that usual because I picked her up to inspect her so she is looking very ruffled.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Could be liver disease. Can't really be sure. A trip to a Vet might tell you more.

It can be difficult to pinpoint an illness that would cause those symptoms. Most times, we try and rule out possibilities, such as anemia from mites, molting (when did she molt last year,) a chronic disease such as coccidiosis, liver, or kidney disease, or others, or a reproductive disorder such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Hens may have a pale comb or wattles in winter when there are fewer daylight hours, or if they are not laying from another problem. Most of the time we can do a necropsy after death, and look over internal organs for any abnormal findings.

In the meantime, I would encourage her to eat and drink, offer some high protein foods such as egg, rinsed tuna, liver or a little meat with her normal chicken feed. Look her over for signs of mites. Try worming her with SafeGuard or Valbazen. A vet could check her droppings for parasites and coccidiosis. I hope she recovers, but I tend to lose a hen now and then to various problems.

She is 1 year old this month (Feb). None of my 5 birds other than her have had any issues and no molting has happen as of yet. Thank you

If you can get your regular vet to do a fecal float on her droppings, it might tell you if she had a worm or coccidiosis problem. If those didn’t show anything, then I would suspect she has an internal organ problem.

Back
Top Bottom