My hen has been pacing back and forth in the run for hours, and has not laid an egg yet even though it's 11:17 am!

Could anyone tell me why my hen Bertha is pacing and squawking loudly? And why she hasn't laid an egg yet (she usually lays much earlier)? Thanks in advance.
How old is she?
Are all the nests occupied?
Mine do that some morning too, when they are all laying.
Much quieter on days off.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.
A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..very hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

How old is she?
Are all the nests occupied?
Mine do that some morning too, when they are all laying.
Much quieter on days off.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.
A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..very hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

She's almost 18 weeks. The nests were not occupied. For some reason, though, she just suddenly stopped pacing. She didn't lay an egg until the next day, but one of the other hens did.

Back
Top Bottom