My hen has died.

If you have another hen who acts sick, please post on here! There are experts on here who can help you.
My red sex link was sick so we brought her in the house and gave her peace and quiet. Gave her electrolytes and vitamins. She stayed in here for two days then seems like she’s doing better. She’s now eating and wants outside to be with the other hens. She had me scared there for a bit. Her symptoms are different. I removed two young roosters that was being a bit rough with the hens also.
00BD45F8-EA51-40CD-B90F-18AC3B2466F1.jpeg
60AE1F44-721D-43BC-B359-6B2807834EF5.jpeg

This is another one that's not well?

What do you feed?
Can you get some photos of her poop?
Is it possible to take some poop samples for your vet for a fecal float?

Think, could the hens have eaten any feed that was moldy or rotten?

Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight. Does she still lay eggs? Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid. Look her over for lice/mites.
Work on encouraging her to drink for you. Hydration first, then see if she's willing to eat something.
She's not well at all. If you happen to lose her, then sending the body for testing/necropsy is going to give you some answers so you know what's needed to move forward.

The way I understand you, this second hen has fully recovered and is no longer sick. In that case, what is the issue?

Your original hen is dead and buried, so that case can't really be explored further. A necropsy, even a cursory amateur attempt, could have been enlightening as very often what killed the chicken is staring you in the face when you open up the abdominal cavity.

If you have another chicken get sick and die, it would be a good idea to be thinking about where and how to obtain a necropsy.

If you wouldn't keep your location secret, we could help you find this information.

The way I understand you, this second hen has fully recovered and is no longer sick. In that case, what is the issue?

Your original hen is dead and buried, so that case can't really be explored further. A necropsy, even a cursory amateur attempt, could have been enlightening as very often what killed the chicken is staring you in the face when you open up the abdominal cavity.

If you have another chicken get sick and die, it would be a good idea to be thinking about where and how to obtain a necropsy.

If you wouldn't keep your location secret, we could help you find this information.
Kentucky

She seems on the mend. For two days she wouldn’t eat. Now she is. Her poop started out runny like water. Now it’s a little firmer. It has dark green and white. It’s hard to get a pic she’s in the coop with around 30 hens. I free range during the day. I’m thinking she ate something she shouldn’t. We live next to a field of cows.
maybe coccidiosis? A photo of her poop would help us. Thank you

She seems on the mend. For two days she wouldn’t eat. Now she is. Her poop started out runny like water. Now it’s a little firmer. It has dark green and white. It’s hard to get a pic she’s in the coop with around 30 hens. I free range during the day. I’m thinking she ate something she shouldn’t. We live next to a field of cows.
Her symptoms was different than the hen that died. I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom