My hen is about to loose her comb!! How do I help her???

Our Rhode Island Rooster has been treading her excessively. Because she's molting, he's even pulled out all the feathers on the back of her head.

I intend to isolate her in her own area as soon as I can, but don't have it set up yet.

I'm in Oklahoma. We noticed she started loosing her feathers when it started getting warmer. I don't currently have any pictures but I'll post some as soon as I can.

I would separate one of them, but I'm still setting up a spot for that as the only space we have closed off is full of chicks and much too small for either of the full grown chickens to be closed into 😭

I've bought some vetrycin and some 'Pick No More'.
Looks like the feather loss on her back from what I can see is due to mating/treading and not molting. Loss on the back of the head is normal for mating as well.
How old is this rooster?
Some hens are very docile and can be overmated. Moving the rooster, not the hen is a solution. You leave a hen with the hens unless they are picking at her too.
Comb damage from what I can see is fairly minimal, but it needs to be watch. The vetericyn will help.
Pick No More will not stop a rooster from mating, it does have antiseptic properties which can help promote healing of the comb though.

Separating a rooster is not punishing him, it's managing him. Having more space and ladies can often help. If the rooster is immature, he may calm down as he gets older.
Separating a rooster generally will not lower him in the pecking order. The hens have a pecking order and the rooster revolves around that pecking order, keeping peace within the flock (or a good rooster does that). He minimizes hen squabbles and keeps the girls in line. A hen would rarely have any dominance over a rooster unless she's mature and he's immature, then she may be able to avoid/deflect his advances until he matures.

A lot depends on your goals of having a rooster. Is he for fertile eggs, eye candy, you just like roosters, etc. A rooster that causes stress within a flock of hens needs to be managed. He can still be put with the ladies to fertilize eggs if you want fertile eggs, but he won't die if he's living alone for periods of time as long as he gets some attention and has some space.
I keep roosters by themselves or even with just one hen, but they are managed closely. I know what rooster I want to fertilize eggs and just put him with the hens for about an hour each morning. I may skip several mornings or if the hens go broody, then he doesn't get any visits for a while.
You can also separate him in a place were no one can see or hear him for a few days. That will lower him on the pecking order, and may help your girl get some dominance over him. Some roosters it helps, but with most its not a cure.

Looks like the feather loss on her back from what I can see is due to mating/treading and not molting. Loss on the back of the head is normal for mating as well.
How old is this rooster?
Some hens are very docile and can be overmated. Moving the rooster, not the hen is a solution. You leave a hen with the hens unless they are picking at her too.
Comb damage from what I can see is fairly minimal, but it needs to be watch. The vetericyn will help.
Pick No More will not stop a rooster from mating, it does have antiseptic properties which can help promote healing of the comb though.

Separating a rooster is not punishing him, it's managing him. Having more space and ladies can often help. If the rooster is immature, he may calm down as he gets older.
Separating a rooster generally will not lower him in the pecking order. The hens have a pecking order and the rooster revolves around that pecking order, keeping peace within the flock (or a good rooster does that). He minimizes hen squabbles and keeps the girls in line. A hen would rarely have any dominance over a rooster unless she's mature and he's immature, then she may be able to avoid/deflect his advances until he matures.

A lot depends on your goals of having a rooster. Is he for fertile eggs, eye candy, you just like roosters, etc. A rooster that causes stress within a flock of hens needs to be managed. He can still be put with the ladies to fertilize eggs if you want fertile eggs, but he won't die if he's living alone for periods of time as long as he gets some attention and has some space.
I keep roosters by themselves or even with just one hen, but they are managed closely. I know what rooster I want to fertilize eggs and just put him with the hens for about an hour each morning. I may skip several mornings or if the hens go broody, then he doesn't get any visits for a while.
My husband and I lost our entire first flock (besides the Orpington hen) to hawks and another predator. Our reason for having the rooster is to protect the flock. He is pretty young. A little over seven months now if I'm doing my math right.

I also ordered some hen saddles, much to my husband's dismay. He keeps saying that once she's finished molting that she'll be fine and that its just nature, but I don't feel that any hen should have to live in a tree out of fear of the rooster. Thats not fair to her.

You can separate him in a wire dog crate with food and water in the coop with the others or in a separate place. Do that until her comb heal at least—it won’t kill him. Wyorp Rock’s advice is spot on.

He keeps saying that once she's finished molting that she'll be fine and that its just nature, but I don't feel that any hen should have to live in a tree out of fear of the rooster.
Thats not fair to her.

My husband and I lost our entire first flock (besides the Orpington hen) to hawks and another predator. Our reason for having the rooster is to protect the flock. He is pretty young. A little over seven months now if I'm doing my math right.
I'm sorry to hear about your flock that would be rough to go through.
A rooster will help alert when danger is near, but he can't defend them.

If he's only 7 months old, he's a cockerel. He's not mature, hormones are raging for sure, likely will calm down around 18 months or so.

I agree, it's not fair to her. IF she's completely avoiding him to the point of staying in a tree, inside the coop or on roosting bars all day that is not a good scenario. She will decline in health since she's not eating/drinking well, not dust bathing, etc. Not to mention the stress.

Again, Doesn't look like molt to me - post some more photos. It's feather damage from the rooster from what I can see in the photos you posted. Feather damage will remain until she molts, which usually is in the fall for most hens.
A saddle can help a little to prevent some damage but it does not deter the overmating. That will continue until the cockerel is either separated or well, then separate the hen, he'll find another to target.

Hens are the makeup of a flock, they are the producers. I get it. I adore roosters but I will absolutely not keep a cockerel or rooster with hens if he's causing stress.

I'm sorry that these are things you don't want to hear and I'm not just telling you these things because it's something I have read, I've learned some lessons the hard way (the hens have too unfortunately). Just trying to help you avoid having to go through some of the same things.

I'm sorry to hear about your flock that would be rough to go through.
A rooster will help alert when danger is near, but he can't defend them.

If he's only 7 months old, he's a cockerel. He's not mature, hormones are raging for sure, likely will calm down around 18 months or so.

I agree, it's not fair to her. IF she's completely avoiding him to the point of staying in a tree, inside the coop or on roosting bars all day that is not a good scenario. She will decline in health since she's not eating/drinking well, not dust bathing, etc. Not to mention the stress.

Again, Doesn't look like molt to me - post some more photos. It's feather damage from the rooster from what I can see in the photos you posted. Feather damage will remain until she molts, which usually is in the fall for most hens.
A saddle can help a little to prevent some damage but it does not deter the overmating. That will continue until the cockerel is either separated or well, then separate the hen, he'll find another to target.

Hens are the makeup of a flock, they are the producers. I get it. I adore roosters but I will absolutely not keep a cockerel or rooster with hens if he's causing stress.

I'm sorry that these are things you don't want to hear and I'm not just telling you these things because it's something I have read, I've learned some lessons the hard way (the hens have too unfortunately). Just trying to help you avoid having to go through some of the same things.
Yes, thank you so much. I love my hens, especially this one since she's the last of our original flock. I'm going to take some more pictures for yall and talk to my husband since this is most likely not her molting. I really appreciate your input so much. Thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom