My hen is crowing

I like to raise cockerels of breeds that interest me, and select a likely good one as they grow. It does help to have experience, and that comes from having the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Because I'm paranoid about biosecurity, no older bird ever enters my flock, so adopting an older nice bird, great if he's actually healthy, won't be advice I'd give.
Generally I've found that the 'friendly' cockerels are actually overly bold, and are more likely to become human aggressive as they mature. I have a 'hands off' approach to raising cockerels; they should respect my space and stay away from me. other folks do the opposite, and either way, genetics is a powerful force and will hit them at some point.
Mary

I like to raise cockerels of breeds that interest me, and select a likely good one as they grow. It does help to have experience, and that comes from having the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Because I'm paranoid about biosecurity, no older bird ever enters my flock, so adopting an older nice bird, great if he's actually healthy, won't be advice I'd give.
Generally I've found that the 'friendly' cockerels are actually overly bold, and are more likely to become human aggressive as they mature. I have a 'hands off' approach to raising cockerels; they should respect my space and stay away from me. other folks do the opposite, and either way, genetics is a powerful force and will hit them at some point.
Mary
That is great information about the “hands off” approach - I haven’t seen that recommendation, but it makes sense.Overly bold is a great description for him. Obviously, socializing young dogs typically provides a different outcome than with cockerels. I guess Pat and I will need to have a talk.. thank you for responding!

An off topic remark about dogs; selecting the boldest male puppy in a litter of guard dogs, or the most active pup in a litter of a very active breed, gets you an extreme example of that temperament, which may be more than most want to handle!
Mary

Hey y'all, so a month or so ago i posted about "what breed is this" y'all helped me out SO much and determined "she" is a Cornish X. Well we decided to keep her and let her live her best life (she was bought for eggs, but was supposed to be Orpington)
Ok fast forward a month..."she" has begun to crow. So that's pretty cool (not)
Anyway, my question is...this bird is HUGE i fear for my much smaller girls. And i literally had no idea how random chickens are at feed stores. I didn't plan in a rooster. Do they now need to be separated? Will he hurt my smaller girls if/when he decides it's sexy time?
Heeeeelp me out.

Most that crow turn out to be cockerals, but I had an egg-laying OEGB hen who suddenly started to crow when a loose cockerel showed up in the neighborhood. I caught him (for his safety from cats) and put them in side-by-side cages. She was furious and having none of it! Very handsome OEGB cockerel, and we found a wonderful home for him!

Back
Top Bottom