My hen is in love with me!

grandmasparkle

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
OK. I know this may sound strange but my Rhode Island Red is in love with me. She used to be very docile and shy until she started laying a few weeks ago. Ever since, she chases me around the backyard and when she gets close to me she "assumes" the "mount me" position. It took me a while to figure out what she was doing. Now when she gets into the position I gently grab her from behind, rock her back and forth (like a rooster would) for a few seconds. She then fluffs all her feathers, clucks and goes about with her day. Its quite amusing to me and I was wondering if any other (male) hen owners have a similar experience? Does she think I am a rooster???

Well...lol...it's not because you're male, because many of us females have adoring hens too. Not saying your girl doesn't love you, but I think for most hens, it's more a submissive thing than love, because I have one girl who'll squat for me (especially when I say her name), the little rooster we have, or a dominant hen, pretty much anyone she's sees as authority.
Of course I've also had hens that would squat for me, bug NOT the rooster...lol.
tongue.png

I've got a whole buncha girls in love with me right now...it's weird cuz i've had chickens for several years, but this bunch is the first time i've not had a rooster, I'm female, but they all seem to think i can do somethin for em....it's ok, i love petting them, just rough em up a bit and they think they've been "had"...

It is so funny how they can be so flighty until they start to lay. Then all of a sudden they turn into kitties...
I have two that I call by their names and they come running to me like puppies, and do he squat thing..
lau.gif

Last edited:
Aw, chickens are thoughtful, if your sad they'll come up to you and peck peck around you. But goodness roosters. They need to think before the leap. One day i was opening the coop and one of my Black Giants saw my purple pants and tried mating with my leg!
lau.gif

Greta has been friendly since she was a chick. Now it's more than squatting. She'll stand in front of me until I give her attention. If I don't, she pecks me on the leg until I pick her up, hug her, and say, " I love this chicken." I then put her down and she's fine.

Oh gosh, you should read some of the extreme stories on this blog of both hens and roosters fixating on humans as "love objects"! The funniest was a rooster who was in love with his female owner's tennis shoes. (She had to throw out the shoes.)

Half my hens squat for me and expect me to do a quickie - back scratch, followed by a rump fluff. One of my roosters offers me the first few bites of whatever treat I've brought him, and that, for a rooster, is true love!

Awww my roo talks to me. When he wants to talk (I know this sounds crazy) he chest bumps the cage. I say " What Fluffy" and he goes "Gu gu guuuuuuu"
clap.gif
they grow up so fast.

Aw, chickens are thoughtful, if your sad they'll come up to you and peck peck around you. But goodness roosters. They need to think before the leap. One day i was opening the coop and one of my Black Giants saw my purple pants and tried mating with my leg!
lau.gif

Poor guy must have had a rough night. He was just looking for a friendly leg-- err, face
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom