My hen is laying very small eggs with no yolk

countrygirl79

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
New Zealand
I have just gotten 7 hens from a battery farm. 4 are hens and 3 are point of lays. I think this one is a hen not point of lay. Although im not really sure how to tell. She is laying one egg every 2 to 3 days and they are very small, have brittle egg shells and it has no yolk. It does have something in the white looks like a bit of membrain. Can anyone please help with advice on what to do. Thanks you :)javascript:insert_text('
smile.png
',%20'');

If they have just started laying, these could be what we tend to call "wind egg" aka "fart eggs". They will get larger and have yolks within a few layings. What are you feeding them? Some layer feed has calcium in it. I feed my girls oyster shell and give them back the shells of the eggs they have laid.

What do the combs on your girls look like? Bright red? Large?

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the egg, and also of the egg broken to show the contents?

Calcum is important. Worming is also important. When they first start to lay.. the eggs like Coyote said are weird.. you get large double yokes, you get wind eggs, you get all sorts of stuff untill the hens body gets into the groove of things..

a photo would help.

Thank you
smile.png
She has a resonabley big pale comb. I will get a pic soon just feed the egg she layed today to my dog sorry so wil have to wait for her to lay another one . I feed them a good quality layers mash and they have free access to oystor shells. Does the size of the comb relate to the age of the bird? and also what does the colour mean as some have red combs and some came with pale combs.

that pale comb sounds like she has other issues (possibly nutritional or malabsorption issues) and this underlying condition may be causing reproductive issues.
I would give her a good complete supplement like aviacharge 2000 (purchase online from mcmurry or strombergs) and if you have not wormed her then consider that too.

My chicken did that the other day..its a cholestrol free portion control egg..lol I ate it....I didnt die or anything..must be ok to eat them..hopefully someone doesnt say its not!!

Back
Top Bottom