GoldiLaced

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Colorado
(I'm new so sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I realized my Silkie is actually very small compared to my other Silkies. I also realized today that she's actually scared of my Buff Orphington Bantam so that's why she hides in a corner/behind the dog house all day. I'm scared she doesn't eat besides from when it's night time, because that's the only time I see her out, and I also put her inside most nights with my Frizzle so he has company. Buff doesn't seem to care much about her now, but my Silkie is still scared. I put food and water behind the dog house for her a few hours ago, though.

I just wonder, I got some chicks recently, though they aren't bantams, none of them are roosters. My rooster is the Frizzle, the one who spends nights with my Silkie. If the ducks can finally be moved to a pen my family has been working on, and free the one they're in right now, could that be their new pen (Silkie and Frizzle)? With the non-bantams? Would that solve the issue? The only problem with that is that'll take some time because the duck pen isn't completely finished yet (there's only one more thing left to do).

But while waiting for it to be finished, what do I do then? Just wait? Do you think she will get used the Buff? (There isn't too many things I can do on my own since I'm actually not even an adult, btw)

I have the same problem with my silkie rooster. He's afraid of the other roosters and hides behind a dog crate. Like you I put food and water where he can get at it. On sunny days I put him where he can scratch and crow and the other roos can't get at him. A poultry auction is coming up soon. The roosters causing problems will be sold.

(I'm new so sorry if this is in the wrong place)

First of all, you put it in a fine area! Maybe it would be better in the Emergency tab, but you did a fine job!

I realized my Silkie is actually very small compared to my other Silkies. I also realized today that she's actually scared of my Buff Orphington Bantam so that's why she hides in a corner/behind the dog house all day. I'm scared she doesn't eat besides from when it's night time, because that's the only time I see her out, and I also put her inside most nights with my Frizzle so he has company. Buff doesn't seem to care much about her now, but my Silkie is still scared. I put food and water behind the dog house for her a few hours ago, though.

Hmmmmmmm... Do the buff and the silkie share outside? Or do they have their own little "property"?

I just wonder, I got some chicks recently, though they aren't bantams, none of them are roosters. My rooster is the Frizzle, the one who spends nights with my Silkie. If the ducks can finally be moved to a pen my family has been working on, and free the one they're in right now, could that be their new pen (Silkie and Frizzle)? With the non-bantams? Would that solve the issue? The only problem with that is that'll take some time because the duck pen isn't completely finished yet (there's only one more thing left to do).

It probably could be their new pen. Just make sure to thoroughly wash the pen out.

But while waiting for it to be finished, what do I do then? Just wait? Do you think she will get used the Buff? (There isn't too many things I can do on my own since I'm actually not even an adult, btw)
Alright, I would say she *might* be fine by the time it finishes, just make sure to watch out for the buff picking on her.

Open up the quote to see my answers <3.

I have the same problem with my silkie rooster. He's afraid of the other roosters and hides behind a dog crate. Like you I put food and water where he can get at it. On sunny days I put him where he can scratch and crow and the other roos can't get at him. A poultry auction is coming up soon. The roosters causing problems will be sold.
Open up the quote to see my answers <3.
Thank you for your answer! The Silkie does tend to run away from my Buff if she even sees her, so she can't exactly get close enough to really bully her. The Buff and Silkie are in an outdoor pen with five other's (3 Silkies, 1 Buff, 1 Polish, 1 Frizzle, 1 Sultan), they don't go out because it's dangerous and not yet secure for them to be out. Everyone else is fine with the Silkie, and that's because she would be with the injured ones, or the sensitive ones, and she was raised with the other Silkies, so everyone knows her.

The buff only knew my Polish because they used to be in a different pen together, and they were raised together too. Only reason the Polish was taken out at the time was because she was bullied (she was then put the Silkie we're talking about). How the Buff was introduced was really bad, she wasn't put in a cage for a slow introduction, but she defended herself, and never really attacked, but I guess she did with the Silkie. Again, thank you, and I apologize for the long reply!

You're in the right forum, this is management problem.
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions, and pics, would really help here.
You have duck in there too?
Ages and gender of all birds?
Moving the ducks out should help.
Adding more chicks could help...or not.

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-23_8-10-47.png

Back
Top Bottom