My Hen Is Unable to walk. Scaly Leg?

MillieYevick

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
Griffin Ga
My hen started showing signs of distress last night. I checked her this morning and she is still unable to walk and one foot will shake if she does try to walk. She also try’s to fly but can’t get anywhere. My guess is Scaly Leg mites? But I’m not 100% sure. I took pictures of her feet to the best of my ability. What are y’all’s thoughts on this, and if it is Scaly Leg what are the steps I need to take on getting her healthy again? I’m working on setting up the Henspital once again to quarantine her from the flock.

Attachments

• IMG_9689.jpeg
    IMG_9689.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9680.jpeg
    IMG_9680.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9681.jpeg
    IMG_9681.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9683.jpeg
    IMG_9683.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9686.jpeg
    IMG_9686.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9687.jpeg
    IMG_9687.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 7
My hen started showing signs of distress last night. I checked her this morning and she is still unable to walk and one foot will shake if she does try to walk. She also try’s to fly but can’t get anywhere. My guess is Scaly Leg mites? But I’m not 100% sure. I took pictures of her feet to the best of my ability. What are y’all’s thoughts on this, and if it is Scaly Leg what are the steps I need to take on getting her healthy again? I’m working on setting up the Henspital once again to quarantine her from the flock.
I can't see any signs of scaly leg mite in these pictures. Whatever is bothering your hen enough to prevent her walking it isn't scaly leg mite.

I can't see any signs of scaly leg mite in these pictures. Whatever is bothering your hen enough to prevent her walking it isn't scaly leg mite.
I wonder if she is injured. She was doing great yesterday until one rooster was being aggressive trying to do the deed. I know she is definitely in pain or something cause she is very spicy today and she does not want to be touched at all. I’m still going to continue with quarantine to keep the Roos away to see if she can recover.

Update!!!
We have had Penelope quarantined since I made the original post. Since then she has started to stand again, but she walks with a limp and her foot curled in. I’m thinking the rooster injured her during a bad mating. I do not feel any fever in the leg at all. At this point we are waiting to see if she will recover. She’s made great progress already being able to move around and stand but we are still waiting on the day for her to be able to put pressure on that foot. What do y’all think? Video is of her on the porch tonight waiting for me to come back out. You can see her limping with the foot curled in. I’ve also been giving her electrolytes, rooster booster vitamins, and also honey/apple cider vinegar in her water to help keep her healthy!

Back
Top Bottom