My Hen isnt walking right!

I have a chocolate bantam, she is hobbling and seems to be struggling. I checked her feet but i dont see any open sores but one foot is very crusty. I isolated her to a small cage so she doesnt move around as much. One foot is turned in and she rests with both feet on top of her wing. I have only had her a week so i dont know any historyView attachment 1142629 View attachment 1142630
She has a severe infection of scaly leg mites!
Read this
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-best-easiest-quickest-solution-scaley.33903/
You have to treat it.

I would do the Epsom soak for 30 minutes first. Then pull all loose crusts off. Then do another warm soak with a really generous addition of the lice shampoo into the water, stirring it in. Squirt some lice shampoo right onto her legs and feet and work it into to scales. Make the water deep enough to cover her feet and legs all the way to her belly. Leave her in that soak for ten minutes.

No, you don't need to wrap her legs afterward. But do inspect the others for leg mites since they do go from chicken to chicken on the perches at night. When (if) you get the Elector, treat your perches and inside of the coop. It kills other mites, too.
ok thank you i did get the lice shampoo, epsom salt and castor oil, I will order the elector on amazon. Your a life saver or chick saver!!!!! I will let you know how she does

I think that you have been given very good advice so far. It appears to be both scaley leg mites, but I also feel that she has pododermatitis--a form of bumblefoot that affects the bottom of the feet and legs from lying in wet and soiled bedding from her previous home. Soaking her legs daily, clean dry bedding, and perhaps giving her some poultry vitamins with biotin, since biotin deficiency can sometimes cause pododeramatitis. Leg mites usually respond to a weekly application of castor oil rubbed into the scales.
Thank you, I have biotin in pill form can i crush it and mix with her feed?

Can Petroleum jelly be applied after the soak ? I read that it smothers any remaining mites but I have no experience with this problem.
You can use petroleum jelly for leg mites. But it has no other redeeming qualities while castor oil is a natural product with amazing antibiotic qualities besides being able to smother the leg mites.

Anyone assembling a first aid kit for their flock would do well to toss the petroleum jelly and replace it with castor oil and coconut oil, both of which are wonderful all-round natural healing medicines and completely non-toxic.

You can use Vaseline or warm (not hot!) wax. This smothers them. I would also suggest sprinkling DE thru her bedding.

Back
Top Bottom