my hen stopped laying

Quote: Just because they eat pumpkin and take dust baths doesn't mean they may not have an abundance of external parasites, especially with wild birds sharing their food.
Only way to know for sure is to check them off the roost well after dark, part the feathers down to the skin around the vent, head/neck and under wings and look closely with a flashlight for pests.

If they are of good weight, are active and have normal poops, they probably do not have an overload of internal parasites.

Days are shortening, that can stop laying in a bird older than it's first year of laying unless you use supplemental light.

Just because they eat pumpkin and take dust baths doesn't mean they may not have an abundance of external parasites, especially with wild birds sharing their food.
Only way to know for sure is to check them off the roost well after dark, part the feathers down to the skin around the vent, head/neck and under wings and look closely with a flashlight for pests.

If they are of good weight, are active and have normal poops, they probably do not have an overload of internal parasites.

Days are shortening, that can stop laying in a bird older than it's first year of laying unless you use supplemental light.
They get checked regularly for bugs but it's just the one hen while the other hen her age has no problems.

Second autumn is usually the time of their first adult molt. So that could be the stoppage. It doesn't explain the soft eggs though.

What is a good diet? What makes up their total feed intake?
Here's the egg I found today.

They don't peck or eat it but it looks like they just squished it.

I repeat.
What is a good diet? What makes up their total feed intake?
They get Family Farm Egg Maker 15 with 15% protein, oats, fresh vegetables and fruits, which are limited. They are also free range go they consume whatever bugs and greens they can find.

The free range is a good thing but what they get out there is an unknown. 15 is a bit low for making eggs, most layer feeds are 16-17%. The reason I say that is, if your read every label on the bag, somewhere it will tell you something to the effect "this is a complete ration, no other supplements are needed". That means it is formulated to meet all their needs if nothing else is added. Fruits and vegetables don't have much protein and oats are about 12% so you could, in effect, be providing a total ration closer to 13 or 14%. That certainly isn't enough to produce eggs to the hens' potential. Also, by adding other things, the balance of calcium/phosphorus/D3 can be upset that will yield unintended results in egg shells.

Last edited:
Your girl needs some Oyster Shell !! You can buy it at your feed store. I put my girl's oyster shell in a corner feeder and sprinkle a wee bit of Omega-3 supplement over it…she loves it ( so does the 'Roo :):):):) Getting thin-shelled or transparent/soft shells ( sometimes called Fairy Eggs :) means they're not getting sufficient calcium. Chickens ( who knew?!) turn out to be nowhere near as hardy as many people seem to think; remove any one nutritional aspect of their diet and you'll almost immediately see consequences. Hoping the oyster shell solves your problem. Best Wishes !!

Your girl needs some Oyster Shell !! You can buy it at your feed store. I put my girl's oyster shell in a corner feeder and sprinkle a wee bit of Omega-3 supplement over it…she loves it ( so does the 'Roo :):):):) Getting thin-shelled or transparent/soft shells ( sometimes called Fairy Eggs :) means they're not getting sufficient calcium. Chickens ( who knew?!) turn out to be nowhere near as hardy as many people seem to think; remove any one nutritional aspect of their diet and you'll almost immediately see consequences. Hoping the oyster shell solves your problem. Best Wishes !!
X2

If you can't get oyster shell, crush up some of their own egg shells for calcium.

X2

If you can't get oyster shell, crush up some of their own egg shells for calcium.
They do get oyster shells in a different container, but hers is the only egg that either isn't hardening or something. Don't think it's the feed either because they all eat out of the same pan.

Back
Top Bottom