My hen was attacked by a hawk, I need help determining if intestines are exposed where skin is missing. (graphic image)

Things are going well with our girl so far. She is energetic and behaves more as if nothing happened. Even did a full speed run while flapping. This is her "i'm excited to get outside" celebration dance! Our other chickens sometimes do this as well. The wound under the wing had a nice sized scab on it yesterday, that fell off or was picked off today and the pink flesh underneath is looking good. The wound seems much smaller than original. She is still a picky eater but eating more. The wound on the butt is healing more slowly, but still looking a bit better each day. I will try to post some progress photos when there is more change to be seen on her butt wound.

Update, she is doing well. We think she is eating and drinking on her own now. When we check on her there is fresh poop to be cleaned. She is very energetic and a bit belligerent now. She demands to be let out and wants to go home! Still keeping her isolated till the butt wound is less of a pecking target. It seems to be completely scabbed over as the fatty tissue has hardened. Her hole under the wing is looking really good now with only the top part that might take a bit longer to close up. The missing flesh looks filled in. The top still has a small valley but still looking good!

Update! Pictures!!! :D

This morning we rubbed more ointment on her butt scab... and when we came out later to dress all of her wounds, the butt scab was missing! She probably picked it off. Her butt wound looks great and almost completely healed!!! There is a very small raw area which will probably finish closing by tomorrow morning!!! Picture below:
1665708701825.png

The other large wound under her wing now looks great and is almost gone!!!
1665708615765.png

The top of this under wing wound is one of the last spots remaining needing more heal time. It still is looking and has been progressing.
1665708549577.png

Below is the other wound that still remains which is on top of her tail. Oddly enough, this was one of the wounds we were least worried about in the beginning. These scabs are starting to lift up.
1665708764515.png

Here is another headshot of our girl. She is looking good although a bit raggedy.
1665708811731.png

Tiny new little battle scratch obtained yesterday from maintaining her standing in the pecking order.
1665708838632.png

We will probably wait another few days before integrating her back with the flock. We have been allowing them visiting hours (about 1hr) to forage every day for the last few days.

Attachments

• 1665708647215.png
    1665708647215.png
    564.9 KB · Views: 1
Nice job, our girl is about finished healing from similar wounds, that took place about the same time as yours. Ours was caused by a possum attack during the night. (the possum is no more)
she had all the skin on her right thigh pulled off as well as the same type wounds on her rear end. She has been inside due to the extent of her injuries. Next week we will put her in a broody box that is a see no touch set up, and the following week, integration with us watching.
I am so glad your girl is doing well. Keep watching those two black spots on her rear. I, personally would continue to put antibiotic ointment on them and watch for puss under the black areas. What you may be seeing is infection, since they were puncture wounds.
Good luck, you. and your hen have my thoughts and prayers.

We are not putting ointment on her anymore. We are just monitoring the last wound spots for now. So far she is getting along well and the ointment was making her feathers sticky and matted down. We do not see any signs of infection and healing is still going well. She is back to normal in the flock. We also added the pullets to the flock and everyone so far is getting along. Eating and drinking like normal now! Sunbathing, dust baths, and enjoying life!

Our bully chicken had to be put in time-out/jail so the pullets wouldn’t be harassed too much. We will add her back after a week or so.

We are not putting ointment on her anymore. We are just monitoring the last wound spots for now. So far she is getting along well and the ointment was making her feathers sticky and matted down. We do not see any signs of infection and healing is still going well. She is back to normal in the flock. We also added the pullets to the flock and everyone so far is getting along. Eating and drinking like normal now! Sunbathing, dust baths, and enjoying life!

Our bully chicken had to be put in time-out/jail so the pullets wouldn’t be harassed too much. We will add her back after a week or so.
Wonderful update!:)

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how it's going.

Back
Top Bottom