My Hen went broody and hatched chicks in Freezing January... What do I do

Charityj

Hatching
Jan 21, 2022
On of our hens (hatched this spring, out by a broody hen), was acting very odd last week. We were worried that she may be egg bound as she wasn't moving. Unfortunately, we observed her odd behavior as we were leaving for the airport for the week.

We came back, nervously afraid to find a very sick or deceased chicken. Instead, we found a dead, frozen chick in the run, and momma perfectly fine in the coop.

Come to find out, she had picked a very inconspicuous spot to go broody and had hatched a clutch of at least 5 chicks. We were not aware that she was even sitting.

Momma and her other 4 babies are perfectly fine and in the coop. We've brought them water and food and everyone is eating and drinking, but I am extremely worried about those babies being so new, in the dead of Tennessee Winter. It has been consistently below freezing and I'm not sure what to do. They are warm in the coop, with safe heaters, but I worry they will get out into the run and freeze.

My instinct would be to remove the babies and brood them indoors until they can return to the outdoors. However, I'm afraid that our flock would not accept them when they return, and I also know that momma would be distraught to lose them. I want to give these chicks and momma their best chance at making it to spring and adulthood, but I just don't feel very hopeful. Any help would be fantastic!

P.S. Momma and chicks are in the coop right now, with food and radiant heaters. We are doing our best to keep bringing fresh, unfrozen water, all day.

Take the mom and babies inside for 2ish weeks. And than move them outside and give them a small enclosure with wire so they can see each other and then release them after 3 days.

Or take just the babies in and mom will just look for them and then when she does not find them she will think they are dead and will forget. than when they are full grown take them outside and put them in a wire dog cage in the run for 3-5 days than release them and give extra waterers feeders and treats.

Your idea of keeping them in the coop is good one. The chicks will stay warm with there mom and you providing artificial heat.

My only suggestion is to make a barrier to prevent mom and chicks from going outside. Just keep up what your doing for a month.

Once the chicks are fully feathered they should be fine to tackle the cold.

If they hatched when you where gone shes been sitting two weeks before you even left as eggs take three weeks to hatch

Back
Top Bottom