My Hens Are Laying! Now What?

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
My chickens are laying finally! Granted i think the eggs are coming from my newest chickens and not the ones I have been waiting to lay since what seems like forever, but anyways.

I wanted to know - I am hoping to get some baby chicks from these girls that are laying.. but it seems they aren't staying in their nest. They lay an egg and go away.. come back later. They aren't staying on these eggs for long periods of time. Don't they need to stay sitting on them to hatch them? They have a lot of eggs in there. I have like 5 nest going full of eggs! I am so excited!!

I do not have an incubator yet or i would try doing it myself.. but i was hoping since i got the eggs that the girls would just stay on the nest.. but nope it aint happening. Granted most of the eggs they have covered in hay and feathers ( I am assuming to keep warm).

Now i am not home most of the day so they might be on them all day.. but every time i see them - they are not on the eggs.

Any advice? Any information? Any help would put me to ease.
Thank you in advanced!

Well they won't sit on them unless they go broody so they may not go broody. What kind of hens do you have?? If you have leghorns there is a big (HUGE) chance that they want sit.

Not sure what they are. They are all brown / red. Nice size.. I need to figure out what breed they are. They arent huge.

I am still learning here, so excuse my dumb questions:

How do u know when they are broody? When do they go broody? Can i do anything to make them go broody?

A need to know of what breed of hens that you have, some breeds to not go broody....Just because your hens are laying eggs and their nests are full of them does not mean that they will set on their eggs...Might want to start putting dates on your eggs if your leaving them in the nests, they can go bad after awhile....For most its the wrong time of the year depending on where you live...Winter is getting ready to set in here in the Northeast so probably won't have any that have that urge ...Spring and Summer are usually the best time for hens to want to go broody....

Plus you do have a rooster correct?...takes a rooster to have fertile eggs...

Last edited:
1. No question is dumb.
2. You can't make a hen go broody
3. You'll know when they broody because they will sit on the nest and don't get off except to get some water and eat. A hen that is laying could go broody anytime, good broodies are silkie's and cochins. If you ry and touch a broody you will probably be brutally attacked or she'll puff up at you.

Yup - I gotta a rooster.

So they can't go broody in the winter?

Do u think I should just collect the eggs?

I found this picture online - it isnt my chicken, but it looks just like them.

IsaBrF.jpg

Do u know what breed this is? The website i found the picture on didnt say....

Looks like a production red to me. I don't think they'll go broody that much. Prolific egg layers, though. Roos can be very agressive.

Get some Orpington hens (now or in the Spring). They're really good setters. Probably won't set until the Spring, tho. But they'll set on their eggs and others' eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom