My hens aren't laying!!

james25

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2017
Monjas, Guatemala
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know what is wrong with my hens though but they are not laying anymore! About last week they got sick and two died but I medicated them and they are all fine. I have two breeds of chicken that are my layers. One is the Lohman Browns and the other are chicken mutts. I give them four ounces of feed (per hen) everyday and one day every week they go into the roosters pen. The Lohmans are over 21 weeks old and the chicken mutts are 6 months old.

What was the illness and what treatment did you use?
How long had they been laying (ages put them just barely at the point of lay)?

Perfect questions above, need some info. Age makes a difference and if they were sneezing, lethagic..etc..what meds?....

Most of my Lohman Browns have not been laying since I got them. I do not know what disease it was but the symptoms were shyness, green diarrhea, coughing, sneezing and super lazy. I gave them a medication called 26/52 plus and a diarrhea pill. Does anyone know what disease this is.

Coughing and sneezing... Means and upper respiratory problem. I am not sure of that particular medication you gave them. I personally use denagaurd. I have super good luck with that.

Four ounces of feed per day per each chicken, sounds like they are not getting enough feed. What are you feeding them? They are also probably too young to start laying and with all their symptoms they aren't healthy enough to do so.

Putting them with the rooster once a week will not cause them to start laying. Hens do not need a rooster at all to produce eggs. IF you need fertile eggs to hatch or sell - THA is the only reason to put them in with a rooster.

Four ounces of feed per day per each chicken, sounds like they are not getting enough feed. What are you feeding them? They are also probably too young to start laying and with all their symptoms they aren't healthy enough to do so.

Putting them with the rooster once a week will not cause them to start laying. Hens do not need a rooster at all to produce eggs. IF you need fertile eggs to hatch or sell - THA is the only reason to put them in with a rooster.

Four ounces of feed is enough for each hen to lay and survive. I give them an egg layer powder feed as well as corn and another seed for a snack. The rooster is to fertilize the eggs. Also When I bought the Lohman the guy said they would be laying that week and that was when they were 18 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom