My Hen's eyes are swollen shut

BurnBrightly

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Camden, NC
I have a hen that was fine yesterday, but today her eyes have become swollen shut. She has no discharge from her eyes or nose, and she isn’t coughing or sneezing. I cleaned her eyes with a warm washcloth and applied some triple antibiotic, and also gave her 5mg of amoxicillin that I keep on hand. Did I do the right thing? I’ve brought her in, and she’s eating and drinking. My thoughts were to stave off an infection early, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on my treatment. I’m still so new to this. I always second guess myself.

Make sure that ther isn't an ammonia smell in your coop that could be irritating her eyes. She may have a respiratory infection such as mycoplasma G (also called CRD) or infectious coryza. There are other respiratory diseases that cause eye swelling. Does she have a bad smell that might indicate coryza? Some diseases are viruses, bacterial, fungi, or mycoplasmas. A disease from mold, aspergillosis could also be a cause. Antibiotics can be given to combate bacterial and mycoplasma infections. Here is a list of common diseases, with symptoms and suggested treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Dosage of amoxicillin can be up to 100 mg to 300 mg per day. I would probably go somewhere in the middle. Most capsules are 250 or 500 mg, so I would probably make a mixture with yogurt or applesauce (very small amount) to give 2 doses a day of 100 or 125 mg.

Thank you! I need to give her much more antibiotic then! She doesn't have any odor at all, and there's no diarrhea or anything to indicate more serious issues. My birds free range all day, so they spend very little time in the coop. All the feed is brand new and stored in air tight containers. None of the other birds seem affected. Thanks for the link about the common diseases. It's extremely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom