My hens got bit on the comb and the back

avian

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
So last night a predator somehow got into the coop. It killed my one hen and messed up my other one. My hen who got bit is a 3yo black australorp. The back of her comb is bit but thankfully not her head and there in a wound on her back which isnt too deep. She was already weak before this happened, being very lethargic/sleeping during the day because I believe she is molting. She still seems to be eating a little bit and drinking so thats good. I isolated her from the other hens and sprayed bactine on her wounds but I dont know what else to do. If shes molting Im worried she wont have the energy to heal.

ok, thanks for the help! she just sits in the same place for hours but I hand feed her and give her water every once in a while and she still eats and drinks.

So last night a predator somehow got into the coop. It killed my one hen and messed up my other one. My hen who got bit is a 3yo black australorp. The back of her comb is bit but thankfully not her head and there in a wound on her back which isnt too deep. She was already weak before this happened, being very lethargic/sleeping during the day because I believe she is molting. She still seems to be eating a little bit and drinking so thats good. I isolated her from the other hens and sprayed bactine on her wounds but I dont know what else to do. If shes molting Im worried she wont have the energy to heal.

My concern is that you don't seem to know how the predator got into your coop. The predator certainly remembers how and it will come back for your other bird if you can't secure her. Raccoon's are crafty chicken killers. They have thumbs and can open things most other critters cannot. I urge you to take steps to protect your flock in order to prevent a future tragedy.

My concern is that you don't seem to know how the predator got into your coop. The predator certainly remembers how and it will come back for your other bird if you can't secure her. Raccoon's are crafty chicken killers. They have thumbs and can open things most other critters cannot. I urge you to take steps to protect your flock in order to prevent a future tragedy.
We think it was a small window on the side of the coop and we closed it up and nailed it shut. We also added new netting on the pen today as there were some rusted areas. last night there was a fox pacing around but it was scared away.

We think it was a small window on the side of the coop and we closed it up and nailed it shut. We also added new netting on the pen today as there were some rusted areas. last night there was a fox pacing around but it was scared away.

Hopefully that helps. Do not mistake "getting noticed casing your joint" as getting "scared away". That fox will have another go at your coop so consider what you would do, were you a fox to get back into that coop. They are persistent. Best wishes.

thanks and yeah, the are persistent little buggers. last night there was no sign of them again which is strange

shes still alive, another hen keeps on trying to attack her so we let them run around in the day and keep the segregated at night

Back
Top Bottom