my hens hate the rooster???šŸ˜«

even if they are laying one nasty hen just don't like the rooster at all...she's the one who started all this behaviour and till now i have to seperate her and it was today that i re introduce her again and it seems like nothing is likely to change...and when i keep her seperated she used to call for conveys
I have one like that too. I removed her this week because she injured herself trying to escape. After she healed up, I let her be lonely for 2 days then put her in a different pen with more docile birds, 1 roo and two other hens. Ended up spending a good 1+ hour watching them and trying to reintegrate them.

I think @FloorCandy has it spot-on when she says that when they are molting and stop laying, they totally are not in the mood for mating. Who knows, maybe removing the roo until spring (or adding light) may be all you need.

Last edited:
i am housing 3 female and 1 rooster(all couturnix quail) in a 4feet square small aviary and all the hens run away from the rooster is kind to them only just showing he's the boss but when ever they meet the rooster every hens starts to run way from
him and were flying high up and then trying ton escape from the aviary..all they do is hiding at some hiding spots and whenever they see the rooster they started to panic...what should i do now??
Put a plastic mesh inside to separate him. It won't be pretty as it is now, but it works. This way he won't feel alone. Maybe they will except him again when they'll start laying

Even with just three hens, 4 square feet is brutally small. You've done a great job with cover and hides, but keep in mind that if you can't provide them enough space to get out of each others' way, it's best not to keep them at all.

Even with just three hens, 4 square feet is brutally small. You've done a great job with cover and hides, but keep in mind that if you can't provide them enough space to get out of each others' way, it's best not to keep them at all.
the aviary is 4feet long and 4 feet wide and 5 feet tall

so sorry

i am bad at measurements so is this brutally small?
No, itā€™s quite large for 4 birds. You could put 4 more and it would have plenty of space, as long as you have plenty of places to hide and break line of sight. I find birds are like video games, you break that line of sight and an angry chaser just resets back to normal and goes about its business.

so sorry

i am bad at measurements so is this brutally small?

It's four times as large as you originally statedā€”four times bigger than "brutally small" :thumbsup

If you're still having chase/fight issues with your birds in a space this size, try focusing less on places to hide and more on breaking line of sight. Tall stuff, branchy stuff etc.

Back
Top Bottom