My hens have a visitor, what it is? UPDATE #2

MakNugget

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Portland, OR
__________edit_update#2_pic on pg 5_________________________________________
A quick update. It's been just about 4 weeks now since the chukar has been mingling with the 3 chickens. It's still around and appears to be a success! I kept the chukar in the coop for a week while the girls go outside to try to imprint its new home. I left the door open after the one week and it pops its head out to take a look before trotting down the ramp. I knew I wouldn't have a problem encouraging it to come out because it would raise a ruckus when left alone but settle down once the girls were back. The true test was later that evening at bed time. It spent some time near the edge of the door, not sure if it should go in, but sure enough it came in and settled right in. There's plenty of roosts and floor space to share among the three pullets.

There is a little bit of feather picking, but I expected as much since it's so small and rather docile. The #3 hen has some insecurity issues and has to remind everyone it's still #3 from time to time. Other than that it thinks it's just like one of the chickens and will peck at treats along with the alpha hen that's easily 3-4x its size.

__________end edit___(update #1 has intro pics on page 3)_______________
So I went out to sit in the run with the chicks and notice this bird on the roof of the shed. Never seen this kind before so I was watching it as it flew down to graze. After a few minutes, it started walking directly toward us, and stopped a couple of feet from the run. Long story short, the bird has been up to the fence, and all around the run for the last hour. It's just finished watching the girls dustbath.

Any ideas? Not very afraid of humans either. It's walked within 3 ft of me while sitting in the run, and I could get about 8 ft of it outside before it became uncomfortable.

963028345_WY6o6-L.jpg

Here's a crop.
963028393_zp6io-L.jpg

Last edited:
RockinCRanch and Constance nailed it. Thank you for the link!

For what it's worth, it's still watching, and from the looks of it, wants IN. Been hanging out for almost 1.5 hours now.

I wonder if it was captive raised, set out for a hunt and escaped?

Quote:
I was thinking it was some kind of game bird. It's WAY too human friendly. I'm in Portland, and the link supplied for the ID shows it more of a eastern Oregon bird. It's practically right next to me as I type. The BO is talking to it, lol.

Maybe it got out of someone elses pen and wants safety in yours. Could look in the paper/craigslist to see if someone posted a lost bird. This bird seems like it would be hard to discribe and chalk it up to a loss. Who knows. Very pretty bird.

Back
Top Bottom