My hens haven't molted yet.....

plc

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think they are about a year old, I thought they would molt by now? Or will it be in the fall?

Thanks!
pop.gif

It's age, not time of year, that determines molt. The first BIG molt is usually between 18-20 months of age. Yours have already gone through several mini-molts as they shed plumage to get their adult plumage.

My chickens are 8 1/2 months old and it is getting really cold around here now. As far as I know, none of them have molted. Egg laying has not been reduced. Should I be worried? They are all Red Stars. I am not adding extra light to the coop.
Thanks.

My chickens are 8 1/2 months old and it is getting really cold around here now. As far as I know, none of them have molted. Egg laying has not been reduced. Should I be worried? They are all Red Stars. I am not adding extra light to the coop.
Thanks.
No, chickens don't usually start molting until they're around 18 months.

My alpha rooster and my original set of hens are now about a year and a half old. I got them all April before last. I figured they would be molting now, but to my surprise none are. My roo who is usually kinda thick feathered and fluffy is looking a little sparse in the feathering around the hackle and saddle areas, but doesn't really have any bald spots. I also see a good bit of feathers around the edges of the pen, but all of my hens look fine, no bald spots on them either. Can chickens molt without going bald like a lot of the pics of naked chickens I see?

My alpha rooster and my original set of hens are now about a year and a half old. I got them all April before last. I figured they would be molting now, but to my surprise none are. My roo who is usually kinda thick feathered and fluffy is looking a little sparse in the feathering around the hackle and saddle areas, but doesn't really have any bald spots. I also see a good bit of feathers around the edges of the pen, but all of my hens look fine, no bald spots on them either. Can chickens molt without going bald like a lot of the pics of naked chickens I see?
Yes!

Yes, some go through more gradual molts and don't look bald.

I agree. Some of our chickens went through a juvenile molt and there were many feathers laying around, although nobody went bald. We figured it out when one cockerel was dropping off some of his wing feathers. Even though they all freerange/ have good supplemental feed/ scraps and treats, we made sure to add more protein to everyone's diet. They all seem to be growing in a very nice shiny feathers.

Back
Top Bottom