My Hens New Look?

Jan336

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Triad Region, North Carolina
What is going on with my black sex link hen? She all of the sudden has bright red appearance and is distant with me. I included a pic of her a month ago, and then in the last 2 weeks she has bloomed like a beautiful red rose in the summer a bright red face, and patches of red coming through on her breast/neck area.

ABOUT A MONTH AGO:
13%20006.jpg

13%20005.jpg

WITHIN THE LAST MONTH (new look?):
222%20023.jpg

222%20021.jpg

Last edited:
She was only a week or two old when I got her this summer....around June. So I am guessing she is about 6 months old? She is a late bloomer for a laying hen from what I have gathered.

That's what I was thinking too
smile.png
And it doesn't have to be a new layer. My adult girls who molted this fall kept pale combs through the molt, and only recently did they brighten up nice and red again. Within a week of reddening up again, my BR began laying again. My BA's comb is almost back to "normal" again too, so I expect her to return to laying any day now
smile.png

My little light sussex's comb turned bright red about two weeks before she began laying...and now she's a little laying machine!
big_smile.png

She's about ready or she's hiding eggs from you,
big_smile.png

I've had chickens for a long time and there is no rule they follow about when to lay. Some lay at 16 weeks - some wait until 34 weeks.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom