My hens still will not leave the coop, still!!

ab333

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Amherst
I have shoveled a walk way, layed hay down, raised areas for them to stand on andstill will not come out??
Any help would be wonderful!
Amy in Wi.

What is the temp inside the coop? Outside?

Is it possible the weather *is* too bitter for them?

Not sure what breeds you have or whether it has been windy, too.
We're expecting a brutal plunge in temp tonight and I know I won;t put the hens out tomorrow nor leave the pop door open...
cool.png

Mine will not step in the snow either....and they want out.....They will go in the run, seem to have no issues with the temperature. Despite keeping a wide path shoveled clear, straw on the ramp and treats scattered - coop or run, that's it for now. I hope they will eventually decide to venture out in the yard despite the evil white stuff on the ground. They do have a lot of space in the coop, then have the added run too. I just thought they'd go out at least some of the time when the weather is decent....

Maybe your coop is too nice inside?
You could try tempting them out with grapes, BOSS, other treats. If you have a lot of wind, you could try putting up bales or plastic to cut down on that. I know mine HATE snow, and would never come out when it is actually snowing, but maybe after it has let up.

HI Amy,

I am out in Cross Plains!! It's great to see some "neighbors" on here. My chickens hated the snow, but now it is more about the wind. I put plastic over the top and the windward facing side of my run. Now there is less snow in the run and much less wind. Most days I find them outside at least part of the day. I also have been giving them some treats everyday on the far edge of the run..in the snowy part. They really want the treats, so they venture out and then hang out for awhile in the less snowy parts. Good Luck!!

Liz

I feel your pain. Our high was around 26F today, and my girls would not venture out into the run for anything. For mine, it's the cold, not the 1/2 inch of snow. I spread out hay, sprinkled treats, etc. to no avail. They would briefly go out onto their little chicken porch, but stayed inside 95% of the day. I can't say I blame them...lol. It sure makes for a lot more cleaning in the coop though
roll.png

I lived in Milwaukee for four years.

Once December hits, you stay inside until March.

smart chooks you got there.

It wont break 15F here today and all the boys and most of the hens are running all over the yard right now. This evening, they wont go inside until just before its pitch black, which is kind of a pain, cause I'd like to go out and close the pop door before its pitch black. Bt they are in charge. Not me.

They've free ranged their whole lives and love going out no matter what the weather. Windy cold days do seem to keep their outside time to a minimum though.

It may be that the snow and your straw are different for them. Chickens don't like different. I'd advise patience and let them decide.

Mine stayed in the coop when the run ws covered in snow. It is the first time they saw snow. Then, a couple of days later when the snow melted in the far end of the run, they would fly from the pop door over the snow to get outside. I noticed later that day that several were walking in the snow.

All of us have different chickens and different conditions. Contrary to some others on here, mine do not seem to mind the cold but they hate the wind. They'll hang outside and dust bathe in 15 degree F weather but huddle in the wind-protected area if the wind is blowing, even in much warmer weather.

Quote:
Mine are only 7 mo old. Only snow we had was 2" and they trooped right out into it that morning. Have had two nights in teens with highs in 20's and they were out in it all day. They even spend quite a bit of time out in rain too. Never free-ranged, but always had a large run at 2,000 sq ft. My run is not covered but after my grass-mats grow in, they will have access to about 1/3 of the underside of the coop. So that will be an outdoors hang-out for rainy days.

Could be a breed thing? Mine are RIR, BA, BC, BR. All are supposed to cold-hardy and wintertime egg producers too. So far, they have lived up to that.

I wonder if sometimes the chooks do not want to come out if something has scared them and maybe the owners just did not see it happen? Read a post of chooks afraid to go into coop one eve and owner carried them all in and shut them in. Turned out a weasel was in there and killed all 5 of them she says. Wondered if same thing could happen with a sighting or near-miss with a pred and maybe owners just did not see it sometimes?

Back
Top Bottom