My Hens tail is down, and she is not eating/drinking

Apr 20, 2020
Hello everyone. Today when I went outside, then i noticed my hen was staying at one spot, and she wasn't active at all. She is a black austorlorp, turning 1 in a few days. I tried giving her water but she didn't drink or eat. Does anybody know what I can do. Earlier today she went inside the coop and tried laying a egg and took a good 30 minutes but she never laid anything. I think she has calcium defincancy. I don't give them oyster shells. She is on laying feed but i think the food does not have enough calcium.

Hello everyone. Today when I went outside, then i noticed my hen was staying at one spot, and she wasn't active at all. She is a black austorlorp, turning 1 in a few days. I tried giving her water but she didn't drink or eat. Does anybody know what I can do. Earlier today she went inside the coop and tried laying a egg and took a good 30 minutes but she never laid anything. I think she has calcium defincancy. I don't give them oyster shells. She is on laying feed but i think the food does not have enough calcium.

Sounds like she is egg-bound.

Check for flystrike. You will know it if you see it. Check her vent. My rooster presented with it the other day and it was fairly easy to get ahead of it. Dawn soap, a little peroxide in a warm bath and he was right as rain. Caught it early

How is your hen today? She lay an egg yet? A nice warm bath is also good for an egg-bound hen. I would also remove her from the general population. Chickens go to great lengths to keep from showing they are ill. The rest of the flock will attack if they think she is sick. Please let us know how she is doing.

How is your hen today? She lay an egg yet? A nice warm bath is also good for an egg-bound hen. I would also remove her from the general population. Chickens go to great lengths to keep from showing they are ill. The rest of the flock will attack if they think she is sick. Please let us know how she is doing.
Thank you so much for asking. She is the same as yesterday. She drank barely any water. She did not eat at all. Not active at all. She did not lay an egg today. I asked my uncle who is a chicken doctor and he said that its a respiratory problem, but I am still unsure. I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom