My hogs are on death row

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sara, Nov 3, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My pigs are loaded on the trailer and ready to head to the butcher. It's so weird to think they will be in freezers soon. It's kind of sad, but that's the way it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    They're pretty cute hogs, so I can understand why you'd feel sad. But you must feel pretty good about being able to give your family high-quality, home-grown meat. It's so much better than the hormone-pumped stuff you get at the grocery store. I can't wait till I'm able to raise my own pork. Let us know how delicious those pork chops are! [​IMG]

3. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I can smell the bacon already! I can't wait to get a couple to raise for our freezers. It is really nice to go to the freezer and get what you want for dinner.

We used to have a seperate freezer for pork and beef. Hopefully before long I will have three. One for pork, beef, and chicken, and then a seperate fridge for just eggs.

Good job by the way. How long did it take you to feed yours out and bout how much do they weigh today?

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Aww I love black pigs...
    and yes its sad but its just the way the world turns. At least you dont have to do it yourself.

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Ours went in Oct 6 and we got them back a week later. The dh and I were walking around the farm last night and mention to each other how empty the place looked without the pigs in the pig yard.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Death is a part of life, especially for a livestock animal. Just know that they lived a good life to provide your family with food.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I would love to raise pigs to butcher but DH would want them as pets and I would bet anything he couldn't eat the meat. He's such a dork. [​IMG]

Did it just take the spring and summer to raise them?

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm really not sure how much they weigh. I'm anxious to see when we take them over tonight. They are so deceptive because when I bought them at the auction they were so little and they already weighed 90 lbs. I bet they are 250-300 pounds, but can't say for sure.

The barn does seem empty without them. However I plan to move my chickens in there for the winter so I can put heated waterers in for them.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I bought mine in the summer, and they were a little bigger than I would normally get. But it worked out nice because I didn't have to feed them too long. [​IMG] Your DH would decide quickly he didn't want them for pets. They smell and are very destructive. They dug cement out of my barn floor.

10. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine all have one simple rule. We can't eat anything that they pet. Once it gets pet its hand off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by