My home made bator

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
Ok. This is my attempt at a styrofoam cooler incubator. Please give any advice and/or thoughts. I'm still "perfecting" it and testing it so please let me know..... The chicken wire that is in there now, I am going to take out and put something better in there. The chicken wire is sharp and I had taped up some of the sharp edges but still it is sharp in spots that i missed so I am going to replace it. I can't seem to get my humidity below 63% so tomorrow I am going to try with less water and see how that works for me. Please tell me what i can do to get the temp more consistent and the humidity down a little.

Inside pic #1; I have 25 watt bulb connected to a water heater thermostat 90-120 (i think) I have it set on 100 but the thermometer is mostly at 97. When it kicks the light back on though I have seen it as low as 93 so I need to play with the adjustment on the thermostat. Anyone know a good setting for that? Is that more accurate than the thermometer?
IMG_0648.jpg

Inside pic#2 - just the other side of the cooler where the 2nd thermometer is...
IMG_0649.jpg

Outside of the cooler - You can't see in the pic but there are 2 vent holes, the 2nd is on the other side. I think I may need to add a couple more holes.
IMG_0650.jpg

a waffer thermostat will keep temp. better thats what i us in my homemade rig & does great, as the humidity goes, i dont even have water in mine for the 1st 18 days & humidity runs at 45-55% then on day 18 i add water & bring it up to 70%, dont just add water to start with, read your hydrometer & adjust it as you need to, i have found that when i add eggs the humidity goes up a little, you just have to play around with it & learn your bator & everything will fall into place. im useing only a 15 watt blub.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. I played with the spacing and the light kicks off at 100 and back on at 99...YAY
smile.png
and my humidity is 53%-54% so its almost there.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom