my homemade brooder

FiveMileFarmer

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2015
hey guys!

I just ordered 2 blue laced red wyandotte and 2 cream leggier chicks to add to my flock (Buff Orp. hen, Barred Rock hen, and a RIR rooster). I can't wait! ...but i can't get them till april ):

anyway, here is my brooder I made yesterday. Any tips? comments? suggestions?

It's 3 feet long and about 1.5 feet deep. think that's enough for 4 chicks? It has a door that opens the whole front panel to make cleaning (and grabbing the little cuties) easier. also I made the heat lamp stand have an adjustable height with three different settings to regulate temperature more easily. inside, i made a tiny little roosting pole. what do you guys think? Thanks!

Wow!
Looks Great!
The only thing I would say to remember is for bedding maybe use wood chippings, not sawdust and put newspaper on the bottom.
And I am sure you know this but don't forget to put a heat lamp.
I love your idea for tiny roosting panels.
Other than that great job!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
It's a fine piece of workmanship. Just beautiful. I can smell the recently crafted wood from here.

Is this your first batch of chicks? Or will the chicks be joining a flock already in progress?

I will also point out that by three weeks, the chicks will have discovered how to hop up to the rim and escape. Maybe before. You need netting over the top.

Hey! thanks for the comments and suggestions! I appreciate it!

this is my second batch of chicks, they will eventually be joining my two hens and 1 rooster.

in terms of running out of space... maybe i can figure out a way to make an "add-on." ...and definitely add some kind of top!

...and since i am totally impatient, I just ordered a Brinsea mini eco incubator and 6 hatching eggs... hoping my wife doesn't kill me
fl.gif
!!!

thanks again!

hunter

Agreed with Naser. Check out this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors. The only other suggestions I have is that you put something in the front to block the shavings from falling out when you open the door. A 6" lip will keep the shavings in, and will also keep them from running out when you open that door. Also, do you have a top for it? You're gonna need one!

hey guys!

I just ordered 2 blue laced red wyandotte and 2 cream leggier chicks to add to my flock (Buff Orp. hen, Barred Rock hen, and a RIR rooster). I can't wait! ...but i can't get them till april ):

anyway, here is my brooder I made yesterday. Any tips? comments? suggestions?

It's 3 feet long and about 1.5 feet deep. think that's enough for 4 chicks? It has a door that opens the whole front panel to make cleaning (and grabbing the little cuties) easier. also I made the heat lamp stand have an adjustable height with three different settings to regulate temperature more easily. inside, i made a tiny little roosting pole. what do you guys think? Thanks!

Looks nice!

Back
Top Bottom