My Homemade Canadian Coop

I hope those walls are strong enough to hold up the roof, and the snow load it will accumulate.
Me too! I will be adding more supports to the walls and the roof will be sloped to lessen the snow load. It's also in a very sheltered spot so I'm hoping the snow won't actually accumulate much.

Slow and steady progress being made. At this point we're mostly adding stabilizers and filling in the gaps in the pallet walls. Need to build up the front wall another foot and then it will be almost ready to do the roof. My kitchen view is gonna be great!
View attachment 3120669
View attachment 3120671
View attachment 3120677View attachment 3120678
I hope those walls are strong enough to hold up the roof, and the snow load it will accumulate.
So, to reinforce what @aart references, if I said, “a 4/12 is likely to be too shallow & a 6/12 to a 8/12 is a suggested minimum.”

Does that make sense to you?

If not here’s a primer:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=define+roofing+pitch&t=fpas&ia=web

Me too! I will be adding more supports to the walls and the roof will be sloped to lessen the snow load. It's also in a very sheltered spot so I'm hoping the snow won't actually accumulate much.
Given the tree locations so close to the coop, we might see a debate arise from this suggestion I’ve got in this post.
Either have a single surface slant away from the tree, sloping to the right of the picture, OR a double pitch with one side sloping onto the trampoline side and the other sloping towards the window your looking thru.

I will be covering the walls over in plywood and shakes. With our winters I'm definitely not keeping it as open as it is currently
I hope you plan to use a really good coat of primer on the plywood. Make sure to thoroughly coat the edges of the plywood too! Glue separation is a real thing.

On the corners of our coop I got this neat surprise from the trim section of Lowe’s. White pvc 1” sided “L style” corner trim in 10 or 12 foot lengths. It cuts super easy and it screws over the plywood edges to give a great seal AND Does Not SPLIT, like so much wood does when screwed together over time.

There are two types of roofing ties that are galvanized that will work great to hold the trusses to the walls and really shore up its strength.

So, to reinforce what @aart references, if I said, “a 4/12 is likely to be too shallow & a 6/12 to a 8/12 is a suggested minimum.”

Does that make sense to you?

If not here’s a primer:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=define+roofing+pitch&t=fpas&ia=web
Yes. That's why I need to increase the height on the front wall. I'm planning a single slope towards the trees. They block the prevailing winds, so there shouldn't be too much precipitation that gets to the coop anyway
On the corners of our coop I got this neat surprise from the trim section of Lowe’s. White pvc 1” sided “L style” corner trim in 10 or 12 foot lengths. It cuts super easy and it screws over the plywood edges to give a great seal AND Does Not SPLIT, like so much wood does when screwed together over time.
Good to know! I'll have a look for it. But need to make sure it can hold up in sub zero temps too, as not all pvc does
There are two types of roofing ties that are galvanized that will work great to hold the trusses to the walls and really shore up its strength.
This is similar to what I have
35945330_L.jpg

I also plan to get my dad to help me with the roof. He has lots of building experience so will make sure I don't do anything too terrible

This will cover the edge but not 'seal' it...if anything it may hold water against the edge.

I also plan to get my dad to help me with the roof. He has lots of building experience so will make sure I don't do anything too terrible
:thumbsup

Yes. That's why I need to increase the height on the front wall. I'm planning a single slope towards the trees. They block the prevailing winds, so there shouldn't be too much precipitation that gets to the coop anyway

Good to know! I'll have a look for it. But need to make sure it can hold up in sub zero temps too, as not all pvc does

This is similar to what I have
View attachment 3121691

This will cover the edge but not 'seal' it...if anything it may hold water against the edge.

Perhaps I should show a couple pics …. (The finished product pics will have to wait until tomorrow- currently multiple waves of T-storms rolling thru….

This is the wood version of what I’m referring to:
C890A629-4F40-4AF2-9A58-48B7DFC31A03.jpeg

This is the “pvc version” I have used.
9B9EF7D9-3CE0-4552-9592-56C4C94F8135.jpeg

DB977BD5-CFBC-45CA-A9F4-70C57BD1D8C1.jpeg

149E589F-6ADB-4D5A-A13C-E24751893C5A.jpeg

And it has survived 3 winters and that includes our “Freeze-mageden” 2 February’s ago.

I’m originally from Michigan- so I painfully understand what sun-zero your referring to…

Back
Top Bottom