My Hoop Coop

Good question. No, I am currently weighing the skirt against my risk tolerance and the very hard rocky soil the coop sits on (not pictured, but the coop is surrounded by the run fence [two entry points]). I will likely use the remaining HWC to skirt the known weak spots (if not enough for all).
For now, I am happy that they have a nice, airy space.
fair enough. nice build

Not sure what your budget is, but tarps are not really a long term solution (especially in hurricane territory). Unless the tarps are taught, they will catch wind, rub, and eventually shred. A bad storm could rip them right off and leave your chickens unsheltered. I'd recommend tightening every loose area (zip ties, bungee cords, whatever it takes) to get the most life out of them before devising a longer term plan. The coop, in particular, should be hard sided so that they have somewhere safe and secure to go if the tarps fail.

Only other concern is the security of the run. Florida is full of predators and it looks like you are in a wooded area which will attract them. I can already see gaps on the lower edge which will make it easy for something to dig or squeeze under. At a minimum, consider an above ground hardware cloth skirt or surround the perimeter with cinder blocks. Did you run hardware cloth over the hog panels on the sides too? Raccoons and other predators are known to lure chickens to large gaps and then rip their heads off through even the most secure fences.

Make sure you paint that plywood too. Plywood will usually withstand some moisture exposure, but it may swell or delaminate if you leave it exposed long term.

Not sure what your budget is, but tarps are not really a long term solution (especially in hurricane territory). Unless the tarps are taught, they will catch wind, rub, and eventually shred. A bad storm could rip them right off and leave your chickens unsheltered. I'd recommend tightening every loose area (zip ties, bungee cords, whatever it takes) to get the most life out of them before devising a longer term plan. The coop, in particular, should be hard sided so that they have somewhere safe and secure to go if the tarps fail.

Only other concern is the security of the run. Florida is full of predators and it looks like you are in a wooded area which will attract them. I can already see gaps on the lower edge which will make it easy for something to dig or squeeze under. At a minimum, consider an above ground hardware cloth skirt or surround the perimeter with cinder blocks. Did you run hardware cloth over the hog panels on the sides too? Raccoons and other predators are known to lure chickens to large gaps and then rip their heads off through even the most secure fences.

Make sure you paint that plywood too. Plywood will usually withstand some moisture exposure, but it may swell or delaminate if you leave it exposed long term.
The cloth runs over the top and the skirt was addressed in a previous post, but yeah, the gap is of concern. I'll start there and see how far the left over gets me. I have some extra pavers that I could use as well. If the coons can dig in that soil all the way under the paver and into the coop, they earned that meal. I won't bother painting...I'll see how long it lasts. The tarp is nailed on. In the event of a big storm, I'll probably let them out to free range and seek shelter in the azaleas and viburnums.

Update.
This pic shows the skirt on the back and a good visualization of one side.
IMG_20211015_185354161.jpg
This pic shows the front skirt and remaining side to be worked on tomorrow.
IMG_20211015_185422728.jpg

Back
Top Bottom