My husband is convinced that our buff is a cockeral

oh man, that was the families favorite chick. I believe she/he is the youngest out the group. We got 4 on April 4th and this one was the last to get all its feathers coming in. Also, she/he is getting bossy with the other 3 chicks.
Ha, the Production Red of ours that we think is a roo is one of our more charismatic chicks too, It is like they know they are destined to be shipped or stew.....but mine is way too ornery with the pullets to be a good roo anyway, bossy is one thing, attacking them for eating means mine has got to go.

Oops I am editing this because I misunderstood, yes my 3 look like the one shared for comparison.

Last edited:
oh man, that was the families favorite chick. I believe she/he is the youngest out the group. We got 4 on April 4th and this one was the last to get all its feathers coming in. Also, she/he is getting bossy with the other 3 chicks.
Generally cockerels feather much slower than pullets. That is something to take into consideration as well.

Any updates on your pullet/roo quandary? I have a 6+ week chick who looks like your first shot. It is the second largest of my 4 chicks. It developed feather at the same rate as the largest chick, but it does seem to have a little bit bigger feet and claws than the others.

I'm definitely learning in this, my first chick rearing experience, that they develop at different rates. My largest chick is more than three times as big as the smallest (definitely a runt), even though they are all about the same age. My runt is also waaaaay behind on feather development. So, I have to wonder if comb and wattle development (size and color) can vary as much as feather and weight development do.

Back
Top Bottom