My Husband Said No Chickens... So We Got Four Chickens

brittbrown

Hatching
May 11, 2016
Southeast Missouri
Hi! I am new not only to Back Yard Chickens, but to chickens in general! My sister raised 20 RIRs for a FFA project (while I was away for college), but I figured, if a teenage girl can do it, a vet tech can, right?? Shortly after getting married and moving to the boot heel of Missouri, I saw the baby chicks at Orscheln while taking our sweet Great Dane, Glenda to get her food. She was terrified of their peeping but I was mesmerized. I kept finding excuses for us to go back for little things (but really to see the chicks) and worked on buttering up my husband. I finally got him to cave by suggesting that they be my birthday present, as we were a bit busy on my birthday--getting married! So he agreed and we got 3 "Americauana" (Easter Egger) chicks. I was immediately hooked and wanted more. Two weeks later, I had talked him into more. I was shooting for at least two (Buff Orpington and Barred Rock or Silver Wyandotte), but one was all I could squeeze out of him. So I got a Buff Orpington since I had read they have phenomenal personalities. So we have Meredith, Maggie, Amelia, and Arizona (c'mon Grey's fans!) I wish I could post pictures of all of my critters, but read that I need to make 20 posts first! Soon enough, my new friends. Because let me tell you, they are some cuties.

I am already obsessed with them and as a current stay at home dog, hedgehog, and chicken mama, I just sit and watch them for hours on end. They are so funny! Arizona, the BO has the most personality, hands down. I joke that I could have gotten just her and been content! How much of a fib is that??

My husband is slowly coming around to the chicks though, after 6 weeks! We built a giant box as a pre-coop for them to stay in the garage--yes, I just moved them from our spare room today... spoiled little chicks!--and he was quite proud of it and sat and watched them hop around for quite a while. Arizona came pecking his hand asking to be picked up and he was smitten. I think this will help me in getting the adorable coop of my dreams, which I know, needs to be ASAP. Before today, he would tell me that the eggs chickens are not going to be worth what they are going to cost... I think if he tries that again I will ask him how many fish he needs to catch to make a boat worth it!
wink.png

Anyway, any advice you veterans have to offer would be so appreciated! I have done extensive research and poured through threads on here, but I know there are so many people with so much experience to be shared! Also, I would love to eventually start raising some chickens for meat. I'd love to hear your thoughts on breeds and methods as well as your experiences!!

Reading through these posts, I am so overwhelmed by the sense of community this forum encompasses. It is truly heartwarming to see the support between strangers. I am so excited to be a part of Back Yard Chickens!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us. And congratulations on getting your own flock.

Great intro
clap.gif

Love the comparison of the cost of eggs from a spoiled flock vs cost of a boat for fishing
wink.png

Will look forward to seeing pics of your cuties.

I really loved your introduction and especially the way you think. You go girl!! It usually works out where the conflicted spouse comes over to the chicken side. How could anyone resists little fluffy butts? So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens
celebrate.gif

Congratulations on joining "the borg" :D

My only advice is to make that dream coop BIG. You won't be content with the number of chickens you have. It's known as "chicken math" and it gets us all.

Hubby will be won over completely when you cook your first egg and he can taste what a homegrown fresh egg is like. yum, yum and yum.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us. And congratulations on getting your own flock.

Great intro
clap.gif

Love the comparison of the cost of eggs from a spoiled flock vs cost of a boat for fishing
wink.png

Will look forward to seeing pics of your cuties.

That's the thing about hobbies... They rarely make you a profit! At least the eggs from my little nuggets will be able to somewhat offset the cost of raising them
smile.png

I really loved your introduction and especially the way you think. You go girl!! It usually works out where the conflicted spouse comes over to the chicken side. How could anyone resists little fluffy butts? So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens
celebrate.gif
Thank you! I think he mainly wasn't a fan of them at first because they were in our spare bedroom... Most sane people probably wouldn't prefer to have four 4-6 week old chicks IN their house! Haha and now that they are outside and have lots of room to play around he is just tickled by them! Not quite as much as me, but few people enjoy watching critters as much as I do!

Back
Top Bottom