My husband wonders why i don't use my bench by the peafowl that often

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
7205_cranes_on_bench.jpg

It's because these guys keep taking it over.....
lol.png
( Sorry about the pic quality, but I didn't want to step outside. )

They have 16 acres of woods and pasture with plenty of fallen trees and such. They do spend some time playing on the downed trees, but this is their favorite spot.... hehe I found them playing with a tinfoil pan they took from the dogs a little while ago.... get into everything...... but sooo fun to watch.
roll.png

Heh ,nice. You have som lucky birds !!

I love the color of the young ones. Its sssooooo sweet. The wings are the coolest of all. I've been debating getting myself a paradise crane as a pet ,but they cost lots of money
sad.png

P1030176.jpg

I think the chicks look cute
tongue.png

Odd though ,your looked different as chicks from the ones up here on my end...

P1030175.jpg

Is there a difference in coloring of chicks between the Eastern and Western ? Are they yours or a friends........ hehe I need to find some others to add since mine are siblings.
big_smile.png

yes, I loved mine even though they were a little fuggly in a cute kind of way..... the other one I was raising for a friend... hard to let babies go...... I would like to find some very young ones so i could have tamer cranes. Mine will get within 5 feet of me when they can't stand not knowing what i'm up too....
lol.png

They might be
cool.png

Also eastern and western ?? Those are different species.

The subspecies of eastern crowned cranes (B. r. gibbericeps and B. r. regulorum) differ only in the color of their facial skin. Gibbericeps has more red bleeding into the white.

However I see no reason for that to make the chicks a different color ??

Last edited:
I was wondering since their environment may be different in each of the subspecies , that perhaps their chicks may be colored to blend in with that environment. I don't know enough about them....... these are my first ones. Mine seemed to only have the speckling as chicks and then went straight into the grey. Even the head cap color occurred at a different time...... interesting.

Back
Top Bottom