My Ideal chicks are here! Pics!

BrahmaMama

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota
I got a call this morning at about 9:30 from the Sioux Falls post office (nearest bigger city) last year they were picked up at the Lennox post office-about 8 miles away. the SF one is about 15 miles away. Anyway, I asked why they didn't go to Lennox, and he said the truck to Lennox had already left, and if I wanted to I could wait until tomorrow and pick them up there...umm, no thank you, I will be right there!

Opened the box there, and saw one dead chickie
sad.png
I am amazed at how little bantams are! I have never had them before. A couple of the porcelains looked pretty weak. I held one cupped in my hand, against my chest the whole drive home. I wonder if people that passed me on the interstate were trying to figure out just why I was holding my hand there
gig.gif

My very first ducklings were also there; everyone else looked ok. I brought them straight home, got them in the brooder-switched my brooder tanks, so the light was over theirs (my three week olds I hatched have to wait for me to go outside and get the other light, lol!)-don't worry, it's warm in the basement with the corn stove going. Had to drop the light a bit, and got everyone in with their beaks dipped in the water. I took some of the weaker ones-especially the d'uccles, and gave them a little bit of the sugar water with a syringe-just basically squeezed a drop from the tip, onto the end of their beak, and it kind of "seeped" in.

I just had pine shavings in the bottom (did it with just that last year, and they were fine) but the ducklings almost went crazy for it, wanting to eat it
barnie.gif
so I had to put some papertowels down quick. I hope they didn't injest to much
hmm.png
And I put water down right away, but took it away for an hour-what I think I read about ducklings...though the Ideal paperwork didn't say anything about that. I hope they didn't get too much water at first.

Ok, so here is what I received:

4 porcelain D'uccle (ordered 3, 1 extra)
4 golden neck D'uccle (ordered 3, 1 extra)
6 buff laced Polish (1 died)
4 white crested blue Polish
3 Khaki Campbell ducklings-1 male, two female
2 Blue Swedish ducklings-females

IMG_1457Medium.jpg

two of the ducklings
IMG_1458Medium.jpg

Careful with the pine shavings. I lost a duckling last year because a piece got caught in his throat and he died. Terry gave me so very advise she told me to use old sheets in the duckling brooder i did that it was easy to clean up just squirted them off and threw them in the washer. I have several o lhand now for when my chickies arrive.

Quote:
Thank you Stormhorse
smile.png

Ooh, thanks Micki, I will keep an eye on them...don't have any old sheets right now
hmm.png

Storm, I'm just waiting for them to try climbing in the waterer, lol!

Thank you Wynette and BBB
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom