My Indian Blue Runner Ducks need more weight

Are they molting? Runners are light and skinny Ducks. I'm sure they are just fine. :frow
Speaking of molting, I have one of my girls that I think is almost done molting. My question is if that affects her egg production/quality. She is still within her 1st year so I know things can be kinda iffy while they get it all figured out and we have had that cold front with below freezing temps. Anyway I have been finding an "extra" egg being dropped in the run after I let them out in the morning but the shell is thin and it breaks easily. Or I only get 3 eggs in the morning and then I find this egg later in the day just dropped in some random space in the run. I have been feeding back to the ducks hoping that helps with calcium intake. The other 3 eggs I am collecting daily have been perfect and normal and in their nests in the duck house. They are fed layer pellets, dried meal worms/flies/beatles combo, either kale or mixture of other veggies daily. I do want to note that she seems healthy but is and has always been smaller than the other 2 runners that I raised with her. Also her fawn coloring on her is not as distinct as the other 2 girls. She looks kind of faded but I guess that could be the molting? I have always watched out for little Lovey because she just seems to be the bottom girl as my mallard female is clearly the boss and is not always nice to her. I have a timeout space now specifically for my mallard.

Speaking of molting, I have one of my girls that I think is almost done molting. My question is if that affects her egg production/quality. She is still within her 1st year so I know things can be kinda iffy while they get it all figured out and we have had that cold front with below freezing temps. Anyway I have been finding an "extra" egg being dropped in the run after I let them out in the morning but the shell is thin and it breaks easily. Or I only get 3 eggs in the morning and then I find this egg later in the day just dropped in some random space in the run. I have been feeding back to the ducks hoping that helps with calcium intake. The other 3 eggs I am collecting daily have been perfect and normal and in their nests in the duck house. They are fed layer pellets, dried meal worms/flies/beatles combo, either kale or mixture of other veggies daily. I do want to note that she seems healthy but is and has always been smaller than the other 2 runners that I raised with her. Also her fawn coloring on her is not as distinct as the other 2 girls. She looks kind of faded but I guess that could be the molting? I have always watched out for little Lovey because she just seems to be the bottom girl as my mallard female is clearly the boss and is not always nice to her. I have a timeout space now specifically for my mallard.
You should give them access to oyster shell too, that might help with the thin shells.

I don't feed layer feed. I feed Grower/Finisher I add in scratch grain and provide oyster shell in a separate dish. I feed Romain Lettuce. Never kale or spinach.
If being bullied it could be why she releases her egg before the hard shell is formed..[/QUOTE
Thank you for the reply. So you think I should change feed back to grower/finisher? I don't ever feed spinach to them but I thought kale was supposed to be good for them? I do also feed them romaine and leafy green as well as micro-greens. I will keep an eye on her and see if I can find a connection w/bullying and her egg dropping. She is so sweet I just hate to see Miss Squiggy being a mean girl! Funny thing though is when she gets to come out of time out she is so nice and calm like nothing ever happened.

So you think I should change feed back to grower/finisher?
I don't think you should. The feed you're giving now has the correct amount of calcium that a layer needs.
I don't ever feed spinach to them but I thought kale was supposed to be good for them? I do also feed them romaine and leafy green as well as micro-greens.
Kale in moderation is fine.
I will keep an eye on her and see if I can find a connection w/bullying and her egg dropping.
Try putting out a dish of oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom