My Ivy.. Latest Relapse...She's Gone

We have the penicillin out of the fridge to warm up some and will try to fix her problem again. This time, it's presenting differently than last time. The first bout she had, there was no abdominal distention or heavy breathing. I fear her abdomen is filling with yolk this time. The last egg she laid was about five weeks ago, which resulted in a pullet chick, so Fern has a little sister. I think she laid a couple after that, but thinking back, I haven't had one of her distinctive eggs in weeks. I also have four other hens who are not laying, either, three if them from my original group of girls.

Sorry to hear the not good news....sometimes we just postpone the inevitable.
sad.png

Awwwww, I hope the treatment works for Ivy. I wonder why this has to happen so frequently? Poor little girl. She is beautiful. I love Barred Rocks too, I've got 2 myself. Best of luck for your baby.
fl.gif

I'm so sorry Ivy is not well Cyn. If people only knew how caring these feather-beings can be...Ginger keeping Ivy company
love.gif
.. Hoping for the best
hugs.gif

JJ

Last edited:
I remember when our head hen, Ruby, was dying, our Violet stood over her and kept the others away. It was so touching.

Katy, back when she recovered last year, that's exactly what I said to DH, that she may have a relapse in the future and pass away from this thing, just at a later date. I fear that's what is happening now. What a shame.

Ginger, Violet, and Reba all are not laying, either, and haven't in weeks. Ginger has been on and off the nest without producing an egg, Violet hasn't even sat on a nest, though she'll act like she's trying to pick one out to lay on occasion; Reba is getting her feathers after her molt, so maybe she is just inactive due to that. I hope.

If I lose all the aforementioned hens, that would mean that I've lost 8 out of 10 of my original hens to the same ailment. And not a darn thing I could do about it, either.

Back
Top Bottom