My jake laid an egg???

A picture would be nice. I once shot a duck that I thought was a hen mallard. Upon closer inspection, it had a lot of male feather characteristics as well as some female. When we cut it open, it had no gonads at all. Weird things can happen. But I do agree, if it laid an egg, it is not a male, no matter what it looks like.

I hope this fellow chicken raiser understood that we were laughing at the situation and not at her I wish she would enlighten us on the outcome. Believe me in this poultry paradise I have had many laughable questions answered.

Sorry, been out of the loop lately. My Jake/Hen had an accident and died. Now we'll never know....

I was totally into this thread. I read from start to finish with anticipation to find out what happened. Not to sound cruel; but I hope that wasn't just a cop out saying the turkey died. I hope that was truthful. I don't think people were being rude or mean. Just something that caught many of our attentions!

Hi sorry I have climbed onto this thread a few years later than your original post but I had the same thing happen to me and I am totally dumbfounded. I too have what I thought was a Jake as it would puff itself up and tilt the head and the drooping snout the whole works. I bought a huge tom with two female so I locked my jake up in a cage overnight (scared thinking the new Tom would hurt him) but this morning I went and found a egg in "its" cage. I then let "it" out with my other "females" that I bought and "IT" immediately puffed itself up and tried kicking the two new "females" The two new "females" also puffed their tail feathers up and kicked, behaviour which you'd expect from a male. So are my new females also males they are still youngish and the two new "females" are white and mine is black so could this be the reason. I am so confused now and was wondering if females also fight with other hens. what was the outcome with yours?

Oops sorry I am new to this thread and just read that yours passed away. So sorry, but I would appreciate if anybody giving me feedback regarding my dilemma. Thank You

Hi sorry I have climbed onto this thread a few years later than your original post but I had the same thing happen to me and I am totally dumbfounded. I too have what I thought was a Jake as it would puff itself up and tilt the head and the drooping snout the whole works. I bought a huge tom with two female so I locked my jake up in a cage overnight (scared thinking the new Tom would hurt him) but this morning I went and found a egg in "its" cage. I then let "it" out with my other "females" that I bought and "IT" immediately puffed itself up and tried kicking the two new "females" The two new "females" also puffed their tail feathers up and kicked, behaviour which you'd expect from a male. So are my new females also males they are still youngish and  the two new "females" are white and mine is black so could this be the reason. I am so confused now and was wondering if females also fight with other hens. what was the outcome with yours?

Hens will fight with each other. They will strut and fan tail feathers especially when new ones are introduced. Pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom