My Journey in Pig Raising: Chapter 1- fence building****PIC HEAVY****

dixie&trixie

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Yreka California
My husband is great and has always been so supportive of me and all my animal ideas no matter how outrageous they are. I recently decided that I wanted to raise my own pigs and he was, of course, on board. I did tons of research on fencing and how to do it as cheap and effective as possible. I came across some video's and picture's of pallet fences and thought it was a great idea. For about a week I drove all around my town looking for pallets behind businesses, constructions sites, dumpsters etc. When I found some, I asked if I could have them and more often than not they were more than happy to give them to me. At the end of the week I ended up with about 35 pallets and a heck of a lot of scrap wood. The pallets were all in great shape and very sturdy, not to mention FREE!!

DH and I went to the hardware store to buy a few supplies ie. screws, nails. While there we realized we had to buy something to attach the pallets to each other. Our first idea was hinges but they were $7.99 a hinge and we would need about 40 hinges. We were NOT going to spend $320 on hinges alone. After speaking with the salesman he told us he had a box of 30 hinges in the back that a customer had returned unused. He said he would sell them to us for $2.00 a hinge. SOLD!!!

After we bought some lightweight t-posts for stability, a couple of sawhorses, and the screws we only spend $156.00. We still need to buy the electric fence and the piglets but so far I think we've kept it pretty cheap.

Stayed tuned for Chapter 2: The Piglet Arrival

Here are the pics:

Pallets

More pallets

We laid all the pallets out in the square shape. 5 pallets long and 5 pallets deep.

Pics of the hinges.

The hinges worked great for the corners

First side done

Hubby working hard

Almost done. Putting last pallet on.

All squared up!!

Putting t-posts in for added stability

They are going to pick up your fence and walk right under it. If they don't pick it up they will dig under it until they can really lift it up. An electric fence will not stop them at all. It will take a few months for it to happen but it will happen. You need some heavy duty steel fence posts and you need to sink them deep. You will also need to wire your pallets tightly to the fence post. Hopefully if you do those things you will be able to keep them penned up. Good luck!

Ive heard that before but Ive also heard that once shocked a few times the pigs dont mess around with the fence so I think we'll try the electric fence and if doesnt work we'll have to secure it more. Thanks for the advice!

Ive heard that before but Ive also heard that once shocked a few times the pigs dont mess around with the fence so I think we'll try the electric fence and if doesnt work we'll have to secure it more. Thanks for the advice!

You are welcome. I haven't had any pigs for a couple of years now. I swore before I did it again that I would have a concrete pad to put them on with just a small area for them to dig in. We used to raise between 5000 and 8000 head a year but it got to where there was no real money in it. So we quit and now just raise 2 or 3 every few years.

Just remember pigs are VERY smart so don't underestimate them. You could put a few large rocks (50 to 100 pounds each) in their pen and that will give them something to push around and play with. Maybe then they won't decide they need to test the fence then. We used to give them an old basketball to play with also, they are really funny when they get to running around and playing.

Back
Top Bottom