My Keets are Here!

Anianna

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
N/E of Richmond, VA
My new week-old keets are here!

IMG_5778.jpg

Ok, I know that adult guineas are loud and annoying. I'm willing to put up with that.

But I didn't know this little keet and one of her friends would sound exactly like my smoke alarms!!! Holy mackerel!!

IMG_5780.jpg

The decibals these tiny little things can emit is beyond belief. How soon can I put them outside??

Quote:
They have a heat lamp, the same food they had in their last home, and lots of fresh water. There's even a couple of things for them to climb on/play with, but the poor things have been hollering for several hours. I finally dug out the speakers for my MP3 player in the hopes the music might have a comforting effect. They're still crying, though much more quietly. I hope they settle down before I go to bed! LOL

Did you scatter some feed on the floor. Sometimes they just don't get that the stuff in that new dish is food. Same for water. They freak out for a while any time anything changes.

Maybe mine aren't quiet - maybe I'm deaf from hearing the adults lately.

Quote:
LOL

Yes, I sprinkled some food around. They seem to have settled down with the music on. I hope they will stay quiet when I turn it off!
tongue.png

I'm used to peeping, we just got the chicks out of the brooder earlier this week. I just didn't expect the fire alarm sound! It's quite surprising and makes me want to desperately pull a battery out of something!
th.gif

They are beautiful! Looking at them compared to my little 2-day old guy.....it's just amazing the difference.

Maybe they are just adjusting to all the changes. I bet they'll settle down and rest soon.

What do you have them confined in?

They're in a big round bathtub with a mesh top.

My loud girl settled down just as I was heading to bed, but then she started back up sometime in the middle of the night. It was warm in the house, so I turned their light off and she settled back down, but of course she started back up at dawn. I thought she might have something wrong with her, so I went into the brooder to chase her down and pick her up to examine her. She looked fine and isn't showing any signs of blocked vent or illness. I guess she's just noisy. She stayed quiet for about thirty minutes after I put her back down and then started up again. LOL

I have observed them all eating and drinking and the other five don't do anything more than chatter. It's just that one very noisy little keet. She better be a really good tick eater!!
lol.png

I do love how cute they are. They're almost like little chipmunks with feathers. So cute.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom