My kid is freakin out what IS this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 12, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    ok my kids saw this on the tail feather area of one of our girls today and she is FREAKING out about it... so have any of you seen this type thing before and if so what is it? I think it is fine. I told her she doesnt seem to be bothered by it... but she BEGGED me to ask you guys!
    [​IMG]

Oh it look like a nipple almost.... if I were to "name" it I would say it is a broken feather like the quill part never came out.. its doesnt hurt her. she makes no complaints when I was probing it (poking it a little nothing hard)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i dont know what it is. it looks like you had to look for it though. does it bother her? if it doesnt and she is in normal health i wouldnt worry. thats just me

3. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    That what I told her. My DD sauw it when Eva fluffed her feathers a bit while she was standing over her.... but YES I did have to "dig" for it!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Kind of looks like the human version of an in-grown hair.

Dawn

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's the oil gland. When a bird preens they get oil from that gland. It's all normal.

6. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    alaska huh. cold cold cold... i love it there i was stationed at ft greely in the late 90s and 2000. i was an army firefighter there . its near delta junction. beautiful!!!!!!!

7. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    yup, know where that is! makes sense that its the oil gland

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    Quote:yep, that's what it is, no worries. [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Oil gland? My two Sisters have those on the rear end where some feathers were chewed off by Blue and they got ingrown. I'll have to go close look closer and see if there is more than one type, since she has the rest of her feathers it might be something different.

10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Redfeathers is right. It's right in front of the tail on top the chickens back. ALL chickens have them. The oil gland is how chickens put shine in their feathers. If this little nipple looks swollen, red or in any way unhealthy, you better google what to do for it. Big problems when it gets infected! Normal is pink to light red and clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by