My kid is freakin out what IS this?

AK_Button_Mama

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
ok my kids saw this on the tail feather area of one of our girls today and she is FREAKING out about it... so have any of you seen this type thing before and if so what is it? I think it is fine. I told her she doesnt seem to be bothered by it... but she BEGGED me to ask you guys!
DSC04115-1.jpg

Oh it look like a nipple almost.... if I were to "name" it I would say it is a broken feather like the quill part never came out.. its doesnt hurt her. she makes no complaints when I was probing it (poking it a little nothing hard)

Last edited:
i dont know what it is. it looks like you had to look for it though. does it bother her? if it doesnt and she is in normal health i wouldnt worry. thats just me

alaska huh. cold cold cold... i love it there i was stationed at ft greely in the late 90s and 2000. i was an army firefighter there . its near delta junction. beautiful!!!!!!!

Oil gland? My two Sisters have those on the rear end where some feathers were chewed off by Blue and they got ingrown. I'll have to go close look closer and see if there is more than one type, since she has the rest of her feathers it might be something different.

Redfeathers is right. It's right in front of the tail on top the chickens back. ALL chickens have them. The oil gland is how chickens put shine in their feathers. If this little nipple looks swollen, red or in any way unhealthy, you better google what to do for it. Big problems when it gets infected! Normal is pink to light red and clean.

Back
Top Bottom