I need long time chicken keepers help.. pullet losing feathers, huge scabs, pus filled pores, not being picked on/no bugs?

Upon my final assessment of Chelsey, I am updating this thread to announce she is no longer with us.

This decision was made due to her recent hardships with trying to eat and it becoming more difficult it seemed for her to get her head in the right spot to get the food and water. The neck turning was getting worse from what she had been. Her feather growth hasn’t been improving either as she had more coming up with issues here and there even after multiple baths with chlorhex. Regarding the hardened pus, the baths could only help so much without being able to cut the skin to allow the removal of the buildup out of her follicles.

I will not be able to have a necropsy performed on her as I was not home to handle this situation like I had wanted to be unfortunately. I’ll be keeping watch on my other birds but no one is experiencing anything close to what this pullet was.

This flock has put me through the wringer with deaths and I’ve only just started getting a good flow of eggs from the hens I hatched out. The ones I’ve bought have yet to start laying and now I’m already at 4 deaths for the two younger groups, 2 from each now. With the few losses during incubation/hatching of the ones I did it’s been a total learning experience with this new flock. I had really hoped for a necropsy to be able to see what was wrong with her exactly but for now I will settle with knowing she’s in a better place with her flock mates that have already made it to the other side 💕

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you lost her but thank you so much for sharing your treatments and the pictures
Thank you for your kind words :hugs
I wanted to update this post fully after the decision was made, no one I talked to or heard from had seen this before in a chicken. Plus I don’t like leaving things hanging, especially if I could potentially help someone else in the future by sharing my experiences 💕

Back
Top Bottom