I need long time chicken keepers help.. pullet losing feathers, huge scabs, pus filled pores, not being picked on/no bugs?

Pics
Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
This has been progressing since she started growing her adult feathers. Always took longer than her hatch mates which made me think she was a rooster as all my roosters took longer to feather out compared to the pullets.

It’s all over her body in spots so I can tell some of this couldn’t be from other chicks plucking her bc how do they grab a feather from the part where the leg meets the stomach area that’s under their wings most of the time ? I’m not ruling that out entirely as an option, I just don’t see it being the cause based on what I’ve seen going on in the coop/run the many hours I’m out there.

She’s got like hard pus under the blackened scabs from broken feathers or ingrown feathers as some aren’t even really sticking out but also aren’t even full feathers? It’s almost like she has half feathers in the pores, and not the bottom half either it’s just the top bit away from the quill that’s in some of the pores.

Here are some photos of what it looks like
IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg
IMG_0572.jpeg
IMG_0573.jpeg

The photos below this are where a scab had started peeling up and you can see the yellow beneath it, idk why the yellow is if it’s actually pus or not but that feather attached to the scab I had to hold the scab and yank that partial feather out of the scab so she didn’t think ripping the scab off trying to take that feather out. But almost all of her pores have this yellow buildup. The ones that are irritated have more than others where the feathers have come out normally (those seem like the thicker quilled feathers like her flights and her prominent tail feathers)
IMG_0574.jpeg
IMG_0575.jpeg
IMG_0576.jpeg

Some of the feathers I had to take out had hard pus/discharge that’s accumulated around and in them between the smaller fluffy feather and the full feather that the smaller one is attached to.

I’m wondering if she has cystic follicles maybe ? or some sort of issue with her feathers being brittle and causing them to snap before emerging causing pus and blood and other stuff to accumulate in the pores thus causing this huge accumulation ??

Please help, my vet tech/chicken keeping friend of over a decade has never once seen this happening to a chicken in all her years keeping them..

Last edited:
What's their diet like? Does she preen? What does her preen gland look like?
She’s on a chick grower like the rest of her hatch mates that switched over at 6-7 weeks of age.
She preens a lot actually, and from what I could tell her preening glad looked normal. I’ll have to get a hand from someone later this morning getting a photo of that specifically for reference.

I’m having troubles with my internet and data at the moment .. I think I fixed the issue of them being blurry? I somehow added a spoiler option in my connection issues with the page jumping around

I’m also unable to quote messages for the time being with how bad it’s being

I had coated a lot of her body, where there is scabs/build up around the feather base, in mineral oil and separated her from the others yesterday after getting off work and having time to go over her again.

This is what’s coming out of the pores, mind you I don’t force anything out it all just slides out like cutting butter that’s been sitting on the stove..
IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

The first night I had started doing this, and noticed it seems like it snot from her being picked on, was a lot more broken feathers/partial feathers that came out of the pores but had only been sticking out less than 5mm..

Back
Top Bottom